Truck value increases?

I just don't get it. Barely a year's blip and it goes to this. Are we still recovering from the recession from 10 years ago? It's hard for me to believe that a bit of a downturn in new inventory then depletes used. Were people driving utterly clapped out vehicles until the just recently?
The rush of people buying campers that need to be pulled probably has something to do with this.

I’d hold off on buying a used truck for another year as both used and new inventory supply increases and fuel prices return to normal or increase with inflation. I bought a truck 2.5 years ago, put 35000 miles on it and can sell it for what I paid for it, that certainly isn’t sustainable. I wouldn’t be surprised if the new Sub compact (e.g trucks the size of quarter tons 10 years ago) market starts to eat away on the 1/2 ton and severely overpriced 1/4 ton market. For fun, I built out a new Ford Maverick in Lariat trim with the luxury package (2wd) for like 31k (35k with AWD and the eco boost engine option) I’d bet a lot of outdoorsy folks that don’t need to tow a big trailer regularly are going to opt for stuff like that and the new Hyundai compact truck than 45+k Tacomas especially as fuel prices increase.

great time to sell a used truck if you want to get a car instead, but if you want another truck ... how does any of his help you?

What is the use of a crew cab truck?

If you're pulling a boat to the lake and want to take multiple people, have the wife follow in her own car as the people hauler. I can't imagine spending tens of thousands of dollars just so everyone can sit in a car together.

Would probably be cheaper in the long run to hire out a limo to haul them to the lake and back.

If you're pulling a boat to the lake and want to take multiple people, have the wife follow in her own car as the people hauler. I can't imagine spending tens of thousands of dollars just so everyone can sit in a car together.

Would probably be cheaper in the long run to hire out a limo to haul them to the lake and back.
Might be cheaper but you lose out on some family time and experiences. Plus then you have to park two vehicles at the destination. [of course, if buying a well used truck, having a parts runner handy can be a good thing…]

You assume everyone is taking a few mile trip to the lake.

Vehicle purchases are not always practical-but emotional as well. BTW-your argument has been made ad-nauseam, usually by people who would never consider a truck purchase-or can't afford one.

my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 v8 is worth the exact same $500-$700 it was worth before the pandemic

I think it’s just dealer prices and newer vehicles that are affected
reminds me of the $10,000.00 -Corolla thread.......

You assume everyone is taking a few mile trip to the lake.
Vehicle purchases are not always practical-but emotional as well. BTW-your argument has been made ad-nauseam, usually by people who would never consider a truck purchase-or can't afford one.
I may have worded it a little strangely. I'm talking about for JHZR2's use, not a crew cab truck for everybody. If I got rid of all of my cars, I'd have a 1/2 ton pickup because it can do it all. Not talking about that.

JHZR2 has a fleet of cars, and has 2 single cab trucks. His S10 has incredibly low miles and he's had it for like 20+? years. It's obviously not being used much. This Ram is a single cab too and has been getting him by, which is why I asked what the use of the truck would be.

Reactions: CKN
At least you're getting a new car! Used cars are selling for the same price! :oops:

A new car that's being produced during a worldwide pandemic, supply chain disruptions, labor shortages, and spotty quality control all at the same time. Definitely not a gamble I would be taking.

A new car that's being produced during a worldwide pandemic, supply chain disruptions, labor shortages, and spotty quality control all at the same time. Definitely not a gamble I would be taking.
True-but a new vehicle comes with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty -generally. Some are longer than that. Used vehicles are typically 30 days or so-purchased from a regular new car dealer. Private Party-you are on your own.

Back