Truck value increases?

I may have worded it a little strangely. I'm talking about for JHZR2's use, not a crew cab truck for everybody. If I got rid of all of my cars, I'd have a 1/2 ton pickup because it can do it all. Not talking about that.

JHZR2 has a fleet of cars, and has 2 single cab trucks. His S10 has incredibly low miles and he's had it for like 20+? years. It's obviously not being used much. This Ram is a single cab too and has been getting him by, which is why I asked what the use of the truck would be.
I want one because I want one. Because I can afford one, especially the trucks that interest me (ideally 94-98.5 Ram CTD, though I’d take a 98.5-2002). I like them. Yes I have a fleet of cars. Because I have garages, and limited use insurance, and daily driver cars, and it costs me next to nothing to own them.

There is something to be said about the convenience of putting kayaks or hitching a boat or camper to a truck, putting everyone in it, and going someplace. Especially if someplace is far away. Will I ever recoup the money? Depends upon what I pay for a vehicle, what value it retains, etc. My current Ram drives great, but it did have some recent front end damage (repairable, have parts for next to no money)… but there is some rust in the doors and rockers, and frankly, I’ve liked these vehicles since I was a teenager, and wouldn’t mind another nice example… With lower mileage, from someplace clean and dry, and make a family road trip out of it.

Reactions: JTK
Yep, I traded my 2019 Toyota Tundra back in May for around $5,000 more than I paid for it new in 2019. I didn't owe much on it, so I made a killing. I used my Carvana print off and asked dealership to match it and they did.

Early 2020, bought a used 2018 Colorado ZR1 from CarMax for $24K. Sold it last month back to CarMax for $34,500. Gave me enough equity to pay off my 2021 Honda Ridgeline purchase and put $12K in the bank.

It is a crazy sellers market. Told the wife we are staying pat with what we have and not buying anything else until this bubble burst.

I just read that used car prices are up 47%. Had a friend that ordered a new car. She went to pick it up and someone else was test driving the car that she ordered. They wouldn't let her have it unless she paid more than retail, because someone else who didn't want to wait was willing to pay more.

I am starting to see some of the second gen Ram CTD trucks softening on price. Probably still more than they should cost, but at least not quite as bad…

And they don’t seem to be flying off lots either. May also be because summer camping season is ending.

newer trucks seem to be way overpriced still.

I just read that used car prices are up 47%. Had a friend that ordered a new car. She went to pick it up and someone else was test driving the car that she ordered. They wouldn't let her have it unless she paid more than retail, because someone else who didn't want to wait was willing to pay more.
I would have walked—I don’t worry about what other test drivers do but in this case, if I special order, it’s mine. Not for others to play with.

I also wouldn‘t pay over msrp either, nothing I buy is all that desirable. In this case didn’t she have a negotiated price already? seems like a shady dealer.

I would have burned that mother down. Mostly figuratively but partially literally.

My Ford F-150 4x4 crew cab is worth the same as I paid for it with 38,000 miles 4 1/2 years ago. It has 60,000 miles on it now. Not selling because I am not going to pay the outrageous prices to upgrade.

I picked up my 2017 3500HD Gasser, 4x4, crew cab, long bed, LT trim with 29,000 miles in June of 2019 for 36,500 out the door.
It now has 40,000 miles on it. I was offered 42,000 for it on trade. Around here they are selling the same truck for with over 100,000 miles on them for 39,000 to 42,000. I it crazy.

Back