Truck Future New Shoes

Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
5,346
Location
Decatur AL USA
Trucks future new shoes.
Current OEM Michelin Primacy XC 275/65R18 116T
'18 F150 4x4 7000 GVWR
Max in service GCW 13,300 lb
98% Highway
Typically 3 Snow Days a Year
Some Gravel & Unimproved Roads with some mud (Farm & Logging Road type stuff).
Tires Age Out before Mileage Out.

Complaints with current tire:
Doesn't handle Packed Snow or Ice Well.
Fine in light snow before packed and refrozen.
Not really chip resistant in rocks.


Requirements:
Good Wet Braking
At least average in Snow & Ice
Chip Resistant

I think a Highway tire with the correct design bias would be best (Don't want to compromise 98% of the time for the other 2%).

I'm seriously considering the General Grabber HTS 60 in 275/65R18 116T (I have had no trailering stability issues with the passenger rated tires on the truck).


Anyone want to talk me out of the HTS 60?
 
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
1,231
Location
Kevil,Ky
I think that is a wise choice. Check out the available Falken Wildpeak HT though. I have a set of those on my truck. Places that I got stuck with my Coopers I don't get stuck with these. Long wearing, comfortable and quiet. Quiet means a lot to me. Sister-in-law has the Generals on hers. They seem just as nice.
 

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
16,591
Location
Virginia Beach
Not talk you out of, but the Michelin LTX MS/2 that I got for my truck at Costco meet every performance requirement you list, including decent (not snow tire good, but decent) snow traction when I had them up in NY/NJ/CT last month during heavy snow, wet snow and freezing rain. Smooth ride. Good wear. Excellent in rain.

I’m actually very pleased with them. If you’re a Costco member, they’re a great choice.
 

4WD

$50 site donor 2023
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
20,645
Location
Texas via IAH
Trucks future new shoes.
Current OEM Michelin Primacy XC 275/65R18 116T
'18 F150 4x4 7000 GVWR
Max in service GCW 13,300 lb
98% Highway
Typically 3 Snow Days a Year
Some Gravel & Unimproved Roads with some mud (Farm & Logging Road type stuff).
Tires Age Out before Mileage Out.

Complaints with current tire:
Doesn't handle Packed Snow or Ice Well.
Fine in light snow before packed and refrozen.
Not really chip resistant in rocks.


Requirements:
Good Wet Braking
At least average in Snow & Ice
Chip Resistant

I think a Highway tire with the correct design bias would be best (Don't want to compromise 98% of the time for the other 2%).

I'm seriously considering the General Grabber HTS 60 in 275/65R18 116T (I have had no trailering stability issues with the passenger rated tires on the truck).


Anyone want to talk me out of the HTS 60?
BiL and me have both experienced the Michelin chipping with 4WD LT’s on gravel roads …
My wife’s OEM Michelin tires starting chipping at 40k … does not go off-road much …
Probably going to try the Cooper SRX in a couple months …
Ran some 275/18 General APT’s on my Z71 … good tire …
 

Gene K

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
5,346
Location
Decatur AL USA
Living in the South snow/ice isn't huge with me but since I do deal with a few times a year the tires need to be passable.

I've looked at the Michelin but at a $175 a tire the General is about 70% the price. I'm also a bit concerned about the chip resistance of passenger rated Defender LTX M/S. I'm sure the Michelin is likely to last more miles but I tend to time out first.

By all accounts the HTS 60 is pretty chip resistant but I have no experience with it in the passenger rated models and General makes it clear they are really a different tire than the LT models.
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2014
Messages
3,399
Location
Paradise of Florida
Go to tirerack, punch in your vehicle or tire size, when the list shows up, check the box for "all season w/severe snow rating" should bring up a pretty good list. And, you can buy them anywhere you want.

If General is your brand, APT or A/TX

Not brands I care for, but Laufenn XFIT AT, Hankook AT2, and Kumho HT51 are smoe others, and as budget goes up, Pirelli/Goodyear/Michelin....

Snow 3x a year??? Just drive slower safe and sane and adjust tire PSI. Studs are best so don't expect much from tire once its packed into ice. Can always use snow cables. Otherwise, you'll end up like the clowns in Texas a couple weeks back. Look guys, freezing rain/snow/slush/blackice... DRIVE FASTER and ride the bumper in front of you 🤣

BFGoodrich AT T/A K02 are my 1st choice for pickups. I've put them through blizzards, tank trails, stream crossings, logging mud roads, graded roads.... and the on the city/highway... no complaints.
 
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
1,758
Location
Missouri
We have recently been moving quite a few of the General HTS60 as it is cheaper and shown to be a better tire than the Wrangler Fortitude HT that comes on F150's from the factory.

In my opinion the best highway/all season tire for full size trucks is the Michelin Defender. The General however is a very good tire for a lower price.

Where General really shines is their ATx. I would consider it the best all terrain tire on the market currently. Although the Toyo AT3 is showing a lot of promise for traction and lasting it is however more noisy on road than the ATx.
 

Gene K

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
5,346
Location
Decatur AL USA
116T is a pretty stout load carry rating for an unloaded F-150. Trailed up I would consider going up to a 123T tire.

That's the standard rating for a F150 4x4 with 18".

It's kind of complicated.
1. It's a Euro Metric so it's rated at 36 psi (a P-Metric rated at 35 psi is a 114)
2. Then it's 2756 lb has to be divided by 1.1 to get 2505 lb for a truck rating.
3. Then they want passenger tires to be at only 80% of their reduced truck capacity at manufacturer placard psi (35) instead of 94% like an LT.

My R. GAWR is 3800 lb so I have about 300 lb to spare.
 

CKN

Joined
Oct 14, 2014
Messages
9,653
Location
Utah
Walmart has their version of the HTS. It might be a good idea to compare prices. It's the Grabber STX.
 
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
18,951
Location
NE,Ohio
BiL and me have both experienced the Michelin chipping with 4WD LT’s on gravel roads …
My wife’s OEM Michelin tires starting chipping at 40k … does not go off-road much …
Probably going to try the Cooper SRX in a couple months …
Ran some 275/18 General APT’s on my Z71 … good tire …
OEM tires are not the same as aftermarket.. they are spec'ed by the car manufacturer.

Junk OEM contis or michelins would not turn me off from buying a highly rated aftermarket model.

you can see this at tirerack where sometimes they have 3 tires in the same size.. one will be marked OE.

other manufacturers just make a specific models that are oem only
Yokohama g95a and g91f for subaru comes to mind (both tires below average)
but it wouldnt stop me from buying yokohama geolandar g015 for example.
 

4WD

$50 site donor 2023
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
20,645
Location
Texas via IAH
OEM tires are not the same as aftermarket.. they are spec'ed by the car manufacturer.

Junk OEM contis or michelins would not turn me off from buying a highly rated aftermarket model.

you can see this at tirerack where sometimes they have 3 tires in the same size.. one will be marked OE.
Notice two distinct lines in my post … the top line in the post were not OEM …
Longest any OEM ever lasted for me was GY Wrangler LT and GY Eagle GT …
Now, that statement should ignite the howler monkeys here …
 
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
18,951
Location
NE,Ohio
Notice two distinct lines in my post … the top line in the post were not OEM …
Longest any OEM ever lasted for me was GY Wrangler LT and GY Eagle GT …
Now, that statement should ignite the howler monkeys here …
While I did reply on your post.. it was more intended as a general info post. not specifically "calling out" anything you said in your post.
Your reply makes me think you felt you had to defend what you posted.. but that wasnt my intention.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4WD
Joined
Jul 8, 2012
Messages
4,818
Location
Nashville, TN via Memphis
Not talk you out of, but the Michelin LTX MS/2 that I got for my truck at Costco meet every performance requirement you list, including decent (not snow tire good, but decent) snow traction when I had them up in NY/NJ/CT last month during heavy snow, wet snow and freezing rain. Smooth ride. Good wear. Excellent in rain.

I’m actually very pleased with them. If you’re a Costco member, they’re a great choice.
Im on my 3rd set of LTX M/S-2 on my Tacoma (well, the latest set is called the Defender LTX), and I can confirm everything Astro said.

I run the regular “P” rated version. There is also an LT version. There is also an all-terrain version - the LTX A/T-2.

I get close to 70K out of them, and I drive pretty fast.
 
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
988
Location
Crown Point, IN
My dad went with the Cooper AT3 before winter on his 17 F150. The stock Goodyear’s were trash and I have not heard any complaints about the Coopers
0AB298C2-BA1F-4A63-9D94-7B57EF65E14F.jpeg
 
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
1,758
Location
Missouri
My dad went with the Cooper AT3 before winter on his 17 F150. The stock Goodyear’s were trash and I have not heard any complaints about the Coopers View attachment 48367
Be sure to keep up with your rotations. The most common tire I see for noise complaints is that Cooper. I also know from experience that the majority of people out there think that tire rotations are a trick to take money from them so....
 
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
988
Location
Crown Point, IN
Be sure to keep up with your rotations. The most common tire I see for noise complaints is that Cooper. I also know from experience that the majority of people out there think that tire rotations are a trick to take money from them so....
I think he does every oil change
 
Top