Truck died

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 20 minutes ago, I was going around the neighborhood doing a bottle drive for the band, and I was (luckily) about30 seconds walking distance from the house at the time. I had been parking the truck for about 3 minutes, leaving it running, move on to the next couple houses. I had shut it down and started it up a few times previous to this. I went to start it, it started sounded good, I shut door, put in drive, hit the gas... Didn't go anywhere, just stalled. Ok.. Tried it again. Started, kinda chugs down low, sounds like its missing heavily, idling about 300 RPM, hitting gas pedal has no effect at all. Put in drive, stalls out. Now, it won't even start, just cranks. I got my rents and we pushed it into the driveway. Haven't run the code reader yet (it did pop a CEL) what do yall think it is? Its an 03 Expedition with the 4.6L SOHC V8.

You got spark? No? Cam pos sensor? You got fuel? No? fuel pump? Good luck on this. Years ago my 73 Ford 429 just died - shut off - THIS FAST! Was checking the points. cranked the car - distributer rotor did not rotate. Ended up being a disintegrated valve stem rubber seal got somehow into the oil pump and jammed it. The Oil pump is driven by the distributor stem. When the pump jammed, it sheared the roll-pin holding the dist gear on the dist stem. Failsafe.

Last edited:
Well would put the code reader on it but can't find the one we had so we have to get another one. Turn the key, can't hear the fuel pump turn on, so I'm going to put my money on that but can't find out yet.

The code reader probably wont tell you anything. I dont know if the Expedition had gone returnless then, but see if you can find a cap on the fuel rail feeding the injectors. If it has one pop the schrader valve and see if there is any pressure. Watch out for fuel spray.

Didn't throw a code for the reader, fuses look fine, replaced relay, still no start. Want to check to see if there is fuel pressure or spark, spray some gasoline into the throttle body to see if that will get any sputtering/coughing.

where is the "power distribution panel". Not the fuse panel, which is the main box under the passenger side kickboard. There is another one that has the R302 relay for a couple important things and we cannot find the dang box.

Looked for it. The Haynes manual only goes up to 02 model year expeditiosn. :rolleyes: Anyway dad found out its in a "non user-serviceable location". So looks like its replace the fuel pump time.... Ugh that will be a pain in the rear.

Check the manual to see if it has a red rollover switch-good chance it's tripped-the vans have them under the hood, but some cars had them in the rear quarter inside panels, they trip occasionally for no reason.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Check the manual to see if it has a red rollover switch-good chance it's tripped-the vans have them under the hood, but some cars had them in the rear quarter inside panels, they trip occasionally for no reason.

Good idea. Ford used to have the "impact" fuel pump shut-offs too, don't know if they still do. Sometimes putting something in the trunk and you hit the switch (it was behind the matting) would require you to reset it.

Yup I know what your talking about... That was one of the first things I tried. It hadn't even tripped. We really don't want to have to replace the fuel pump, as that requires draining the gas tank, dropping it and then spending the $280 for the pump

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Yup I know what your talking about... That was one of the first things I tried. It hadn't even tripped. We really don't want to have to replace the fuel pump, as that requires draining the gas tank, dropping it and then spending the $280 for the pump

If you hit the tank with a rubber mallet while somebody cycles the key, can you get the pump to come on? If so, the pump is definitely on its way out.

When you crank it, does the "Check engine" light go out? If you go key on, the light will be on, and when you crank it the light should extinguish.

If this was a chain it would be a new motor and it wouldnt sound great when it failed. I don't think thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back