Truck died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Sounds like a timing belt or chain, at first guess.
Running OK then at next start can't hardly run.

They don't have a timing belt, and the chains aren't known to slip or jump.

He can't hear the pump.

We need to verify if there is any pressure at the rail. If there isn't, we can pretty much conclude it's the pump.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Have you verified you have spark? I want to see more logic in your diagnosis.

Its COP, and while these engines are known for coils going (I've had to replace two of mine) it would still start even if he had multiple failed coils (very unlikely).

His description makes it sound like the problem is fuel related.

I agree on the fuel pump - but it is hard to diagnose over the internet.

I recently had this same thing happen on my 97 honda del sol and it turned out to be ignition cap and rotor (not the case here with COP). I have never had a cap and rotor go from working to not working overnight.

Well it definitely seems like the fuel pump is dead. No pressure at the fuel rail, the pump is getting power, and it starts on starting fluid sprayed into the intake. Dad went out to NAPA to order a fuel pump a few minutes ago.

Was trying to siphon the gas into the other cars so we can drop the tank safely..... Only goes in about 6 inches.... Do ford trucks/cars have an anti-siphon valve? If they do this just got a bit more complicated.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Well it definitely seems like the fuel pump is dead. No pressure at the fuel rail, the pump is getting power, and it starts on starting fluid sprayed into the intake. Dad went out to NAPA to order a fuel pump a few minutes ago.

Thought so
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Was trying to siphon the gas into the other cars so we can drop the tank safely..... Only goes in about 6 inches.... Do ford trucks/cars have an anti-siphon valve? If they do this just got a bit more complicated.

Yes they do. You should be able to un-bolt the filler neck and pull it out though to get direct access to the tank.

If you can hit the tank with a rubber mallet and get the pump going temporarily, you can disconnect the feed line at the filter and use the pump to empty the tank into jerry cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back