Troy Built w/Honda 160cc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Husqvarna mowers are heavily built. I don't know how they fare long term, but they seem to be will built and durable.
Do you own a Husqvarna? Just wondering they seem kinda rare,as far as walk behind mowers go..The riders seem to be a little more popular

Look no further than craftsman, those are made by husqvarna, I believe in Georgia.

I can't say anything for the honda engine, but my grandfather has a 1996 model year Troy Bilt with a 5HP Quantum B&S flathead, that still runs perfect today. He had to replace the friction wheel drive system this year because it finally wouldn't work anymore.

AYP makes a lot of Craftsman Mowers, mainly riders. Mine is an AYP. Takes a beating and keeps on going.

I have a Honda GC160 on my Excel pressure washer. It keeps on going. Pump is garbage, but engine is great.

Dave

Originally Posted By: gonesurfing
I have the same mower (Troybilt, Honda GVC160, push) and I just finished disassembling and cleaning the carburetor on mine for the second time... I've had mine about 1 year, and last summer it started surging (hunting) one day. I took the carburetor apart in March and cleaned it, but it did not help. Last weekend I took it apart again, but this time pulled out the main jet, and access screws and rinsed it out with cleaner. Then I blasted 40psi air through all the orifices and it finally runs correctly.

3 Things I've learned about this engine:
1) Only buy Honda replacement filters. Off brands do not fit well.
2) Make sure you're portable gas tank is super clean. These engines run so lean that a particle .010" stuck in an orifice is going to be a problem.
3) Putting the carburetor back on is a real PITA. You have to line everything up with new gaskets, connect all the hoses and linkages, all while threading two 3" long bolts through the assembly. Not easy to work on...

Ive noticed the same thing on mine. Once its running it runs really smooth.

Originally Posted By: matt4270
The self propel feature is broken on mine now. The shop said it might be worth taking the Honda engine of and putting it on another deck. I'm kind of [censored] because I expected more from Troy built, but, like everything else these days, it was cheaply made I guess!

Same thing happened to mine which was a couple of months old when it went. They have a 2 year warranty as long as you have the receipt.

Got it fixed at no additional cost but am gun shy now.

Seems that Troy Built was sold to MTD?

How do you setup a Honda 160 cc engine for high altitude operation? Is it possible to do this yourself? Do you need a tach?

I purchased a Troy Bilt with the Honda engine last year at Lowe's. Not self propelled, 21 inch cut, with the Honda 160 cc engine and automatic choke. Reading on other forums, it appears that the Honda 160 cc engine equipped with the automatic choke should be avoided. I wish I had done my homework before making the purchase.

My unit has never, not once in it's life, started on the first pull when cold. And the engine "surges" (RPMs go up and down when not under a load). It has done this since day one. Finally, after 10 months, I decided to take it in while it was still under warranty. I returned it to the Lowe's store where I purchased it. I had my original receipt, which included a 3 year EPP (extended protection plan).

Lowe's wanted me to sign a paper saying that I would be responsible for paying for the repairs. I refused, they called a manager, who told me that if I were charged for the repairs he would give me a new lawn mower instead.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and Lowe's wants $75 for the repairs, and they claim never to have made me any promises about paying for the repairs. I would seriously advise anyone reading this to avoid Lowe's and avoid the Honda 160cc engine equipped with the automatic choke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back