Troy Built w/Honda 160cc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new Troy Built Lawn Mower with a 160cc Honda engine, $249. Love it so far and the little engine starts with one whimpey pull. Mower is just the basic...not self propelled or electric start 21" cut mower with the taller back wheels. Light and easy to push. Mower deck is a little chinzey, no rolled edge deck!

Any thoughts/comments from anyone? Would love to hear any advice/experiences about these mowers

You'll love that engine. Quiet, smooth and real good on gas. I've got a 10yr old low end Honda mower with the same engine. Everything but the engine is what breaks.

Joel

I have the same Honda engine and it is about 7 years old and always a first pull start. Runs great and never and sparkle in the oil

After 10 hrs put it on Amsoil ASE 10W-30 SAE 30.

Good engines. I have one in the snowblower as well as one in the lawnmower. Never a problem, ever. They run great and start easily. I use Redline 10w30, change it once a season.

Great engines. Decks are a problem with those. Keep an eye out for rust under the deck, clean it out when you can. I have had mine for ~4 years (Troybilt self propelled/Honda) and it has been flawless. I keep waiting for the drive mechanism to take a dump on it.

I just picked up the Troy-Built self-propelled model with the Honda motor and large rear wheels for my mom. Lowes had it for $312 with 10% off. Nice mower! I'm just hoping they replaced the plastic wheel gears that were a problem on the earlier models.

I have the same mower (Troybilt, Honda GVC160, push) and I just finished disassembling and cleaning the carburetor on mine for the second time... I've had mine about 1 year, and last summer it started surging (hunting) one day. I took the carburetor apart in March and cleaned it, but it did not help. Last weekend I took it apart again, but this time pulled out the main jet, and access screws and rinsed it out with cleaner. Then I blasted 40psi air through all the orifices and it finally runs correctly.

3 Things I've learned about this engine:
1) Only buy Honda replacement filters. Off brands do not fit well.
2) Make sure you're portable gas tank is super clean. These engines run so lean that a particle .010" stuck in an orifice is going to be a problem.
3) Putting the carburetor back on is a real PITA. You have to line everything up with new gaskets, connect all the hoses and linkages, all while threading two 3" long bolts through the assembly. Not easy to work on...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gonesurfing

2) Make sure you're portable gas tank is super clean. These engines run so lean that a particle .010" stuck in an orifice is going to be a problem.

Hmmmmm....

I haven't had a problem with mine. But you're not the only one to complain of that on the hondas. I might look for a tiny inline filter to add...

I have that engine on a Craftsman I purchased back in 2000. I have an hour meter on mine, and it shows that I have just gotten to 500 hours on it. This is my second hour meter; they have a nonreplaceable battery that lasts a little over 5 years.

I have always used Mobil 1 oil, usually 5W30, changed once a year, at about 60 hours. I use my mower almost year 'round, cleaning up and bagging leaves thru the winter. The oil has always been right at the full mark on the dipstick, never using any oil in a 60 hour OCI. I tap dirt out of the air filter frequently, and change it once a year.

The trouble I have had with this mower does not concern the engine. I have had to replace all 4 wheels as the rears split apart about a year apart 4-5 years ago, and replacements were about $16 each. It is a front wheel drive mower, and the fronts wore off smooth about the same time, and I replaced them. These wheels have the plastic gears, but that part has given no trouble. The big repair was the gearbox. It cost about $70, and I did the work myself. The old gearbox had become filled with grass and other debris for some reason, and the gears were worn nearly smooth. The new gearbox came complete with a new axle, already attached, and did not look like the old one. The attachment points were the same, however, and it has worked just fine for the last 4+ years.

You know, in years past, I would have thrown this mower out instead of repairing, but I am now an old man, retired for almost 9 years, and have plenty of time to do this kind of work. And, I want to see just how long this Honda engine will last, and what its failure mode might be. It has never shown any sign of carburetor trouble or failed to start. I have replaced the spark plug only once, last year. I am afraid that the recoil mechanism for the starter rope might be starting to malfunction, as just the last time I used it, last week, it was reluctant to rewind. This was the first time it has done this. I have already priced a new starter, complete, at $47. This might be my next repair.

A Check of Sears ads shows a mower that looks just like mine, same features and Honda engine, for $289.95. This is the same price I paid for mine back in 2000.

There are two things I dislike about mine. One is no drain plug, you have to pour the oil out of the engine. The other is that there is no replacement blade to be had anywhere. Three year old Craftsman that Sears no longer carries and there are no blades available from them or any other source that I can find. The mower is run all year long (no seasons here) and the Honda engine starts first time everytime. Running Havoline synth 10W30 in it courtesy of Big Lots.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
There are two things I dislike about mine. One is no drain plug, you have to pour the oil out of the engine. The other is that there is no replacement blade to be had anywhere. Three year old Craftsman that Sears no longer carries and there are no blades available from them or any other source that I can find. The mower is run all year long (no seasons here) and the Honda engine starts first time everytime. Running Havoline synth 10W30 in it courtesy of Big Lots.

Very peculiar. My Craftsman is 9 years old, and they still carry a blade for mine, and all the washers and bolt necessary to completely redo that part. Have you checked Sears Parts>

I grumbled a little about the lack of a drain plug on mine too. But after the first oil change, I was glad it didn't have one. If it did I would have used it, and never figured out how easy it is to just tip it over.

As for your blade...
I suggest taking the blade off and bringing it into a local mower shop. They'll probably match it up for you without any problem. And ask what else that blade fits before you leave.

Worst case - measure the diameter of your crankshaft and you can buy a generic blade adapter.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I just picked up the Troy-Built self-propelled model with the Honda motor and large rear wheels for my mom. Lowes had it for $312 with 10% off. Nice mower! I'm just hoping they replaced the plastic wheel gears that were a problem on the earlier models.

Yeah! Lowes is where I bought mine too! Non self-propelled though, 249.00

Originally Posted By: gonesurfing
I have the same mower (Troybilt, Honda GVC160, push) and I just finished disassembling and cleaning the carburetor on mine for the second time... I've had mine about 1 year, and last summer it started surging (hunting) one day. I took the carburetor apart in March and cleaned it, but it did not help. Last weekend I took it apart again, but this time pulled out the main jet, and access screws and rinsed it out with cleaner. Then I blasted 40psi air through all the orifices and it finally runs correctly.

3 Things I've learned about this engine:
1) Only buy Honda replacement filters. Off brands do not fit well.
3) Putting the carburetor back on is a real PITA. You have to line everything up with new gaskets, connect all the hoses and linkages, all while threading two 3" long bolts through the assembly. Not easy to work on...

I may try an inline fuel filter and see if the engine runs properly. I've put filters on some mowers and they don't like it(starving for fuel), so I'll have to play around.

Also, does your engine have (what Honda calls) a Spark Arrester? Supposedly it's in the muffler and can cause poor running when it get dirty. OM says it needs to be cleaned every 100 hours. Im going to check to see if I have this but, I don't think that I do.

Starting second season with the same, but self propelled.Bought at Lowes, open box for $200- and love it. I use Mobil 1 10/30,starts on the first pull every time and runs nice and smooth. I start mine one a week in the winter and let it run 5 minutes to warm up rather than winterize it.No problems so far.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Just bought a new Troy Built Lawn Mower with a 160cc Honda engine, $249. Love it so far and the little engine starts with one whimpey pull. Mower is just the basic...not self propelled or electric start 21" cut mower with the taller back wheels. Light and easy to push. Mower deck is a little chinzey, no rolled edge deck!

Any thoughts/comments from anyone? Would love to hear any advice/experiences about these mowers

I been checking this mower out. After doing all kinds of research on self propels it came down to this Troy Bilt or a Husqvarna. And Im going with the Husqvarna. Both mowers have the same Honda GVC 160, but I personl didnt like the soft plastic front end on the Troy. Just my opinion, only time tells what company makes the most durable deck/hardware. I really liked the feel of the Troy though, it is a Cadillac compared to my bottom of the line Craftsman.
link to the Husq. http://http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/lawn-mowers/7021f/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Husqvarna mowers are heavily built. I don't know how they fare long term, but they seem to be will built and durable.
Do you own a Husqvarna? Just wondering they seem kinda rare,as far as walk behind mowers go..The riders seem to be a little more popular

I have a couple of friends with those.
Both point out the weight. No problems for the last few years.
One turned the Honda engine up to about 3200 rpm, still runs good.
They are available all over my area.
Fleet/Farm, Farm & Fleet, independent dealers carry them as a second or thrid line.
I have a LawnBoy myself; same engine.

The self propel feature is broken on mine now. The shop said it might be worth taking the Honda engine of and putting it on another deck. I'm kind of [censored] because I expected more from Troy built, but, like everything else these days, it was cheaply made I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back