TropArtic 5W-30 Moly Count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before anyone starts flaming me
grin.gif
, I've already done the search and couldn't find this, at least for TropArtic (excluding Conoco Phillips in general).

Does anyone know what the Moly count is on TropArtic 5W-30 Syn Blend? And how does it compare to other syn blends and good dinos (e.g. Havoline)?

Thanks!

I'm unaware of any posted TropArtic SM UOAs or VOAs - leastways that are represented without additional snake oil(s) added by the car's owner. If current T/A follows ConocoPhillips practices for Motorcraft, I wouldn't expect moly much above 30-40 ppm. Before you panic, Motorcraft is well though of on this board and GC doesn't rely on gross moly amounts, either. There's more than one way to provide anti-wear protection.

I agree with Ray. One noticeable additive at least in 5w20's from CP is alot of Boron along with a touch of Moly and who knows what we can't see in a cheap UOA. Their formulations appear unique and seem to provide excellent results. I think too much emphasis is placed on certain additives in oil and not enough on actual performance. Who here actually creates formulations? I can think of 2 or 3 that know enough to do so off the top of my head and they don't bother posting much do to the minutia of reading all these post.

I found 4 UOA's of Motorcraft, TropArtic, Kendall, claiming to be either GF-4 or SM oils all having in the 35-45 range of Moly.

Moly alone does not an oil make though
wink.gif

The base number starts out at 7.8 and the flash point is decent and it seems to give good results on UOA's and in real world experience.

Havolines 5w30 is also a very decent oil, with a good base number, excellent flash point, and very good UOA's.

I'd also throw Exxon Superflo into the budget oil basket as an excellent yet inexpensive oil.

I've used a great deal of Motorcraft, TropArtic and Havoline 5w30, and Havoline and Superflo 10w30. For the money, they're just hard to beat.

And Wally World is still selling the TA syn blend for $1.48/qt, only 10 cents more than the Supertech (with which I and many others have had good results).

Tim

I bought some tropartic for my riding mower today ,runs great on this stuff. Think i,m going to try it in my v6 Ram next change. Looks like the cheapest syn blend out there 1.48 a qt.,everything else I see is 3.00 plus.

The reason I haven,t used it before is Daimler chrysler says use ms6395 and the tropartic is ms6395n. What does the (n) mean? I,m still under warranty. Not trying to high jack post just courious.

Thanks guys. I'm not really focusing on just moly, because I know that sometimes moly can be used to mask a weaker additive ingredient, and vice versa. I was just curious where it stood in relation to others.

FWIW, I'm using the TA 5-30 in my Nissan 2.4 and the Motorcraft 5-20 in the wife's Dodge 3.3.

I'll be doing a UOA on the TA at 5K miles (s/b there in about 2 weeks), and it will NOT have the aforementioned snake-oils
wink.gif
so it should be a clean and meaningful UOA, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back