Trip coming up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my truck since dec and just hit 3k on the oil. Not sure what brand the dealership installed but I'm sure its el cheapo. I have a trip coming up (800mi) so should I change my oil before or later when I get close to 5k. My OLM is at 33%

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Your OLM is at 33% after 3000 miles? What type of car do you have?

Sorry I need to fill out my signiture.

2012 F150 Ecoboost. Mostly short in town trips.

Your post implies this is a used truck. If so:

a) you really can't be sure the dealer changed the oil
b) you can't be sure when the oil life monitor was last reset
c) you can't be sure what brand/grade of oil is in the crankcase and whether or not it's appropriate for the vehicle

If it were my truck, I'd change it now. Unless one is confident in any used vehicle's maintenance history, a few earlier-than-normal oil changes can't be a bad idea anyway.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Your post implies this is a used truck. If so:

a) you really can't be sure the dealer changed the oil
b) you can't be sure when the oil life monitor was last reset
c) you can't be sure what brand/grade of oil is in the crankcase and whether or not it's appropriate for the vehicle

If it were my truck, I'd change it now. Unless one is confident in any used vehicle's maintenance history, a few earlier-than-normal oil changes can't be a bad idea anyway.

Yes it has 18k on the odometer.

I know the oil was changed because my buddy works at the dealership and he made sure it was. It was a GM dealership so I think it was the dexos oil that they sell in bulk.

Any dexos licensed oil is good stuff and 800 miles of highway will be easy on every part of the machine including the engine and the oil.
Change it if you want but you probably don't really need to be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back