Trim Restorer

I used Turtle wax Restorer, it looks good, but I don't know how long it will last. The bottle says 3 months. I am skeptical. What are the top 2 or 3 products
that everyone turns to? Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I used Turtle wax Restorer, it looks good, but I don't know how long it will last. The bottle says 3 months. I am skeptical. What are the top 2 or 3 products
that everyone turns to? Thanks for the info

This is one of the best, I used it recently excellent results. You can use it on interior as well and any thing that needs renewing.

https://www.amazon.com/325ml-Autoglym-Bumper-Trim-Gel/dp/B000MSU28U

Last edited:
I use the Turtle Wax Restore on my Chevy Avalanche which has A LOT of black and grey plastic. It takes several hours to apply then buff but It does last a few months and looks good. I've used it several times and it seems to last a little longer with each application. I've tried Back To Black with very poor results.

Do not use the heat gun method. What it does is bring up the oil in the plastic, but doing so will dry out the plastic and cause it to crack.

A trim restorer works on a similar principle where the surface is layer with a gloss that temporary restore the shine, but it's really short life. What you need is a product that essentially add a dye or carbon to the trim. I actually purchase a product that does that, but I haven't had a chance to test it out. I have to look through my garage to see if I could find it.

Paul

I used Wipe New on the trim of my Clubman work beater. One year in it still looks good.

I use a product called "303 aerospace" or similar to that name with the 303 in it. It's not a typical dressing of black infused liquid. It's white in the bottle and you can restore super parched exterior trim (and interior) by following directions, wiping/buffing with a micro cloth, coming back and hitting it again. It doesn't streak, run, smear down your car in rain and will condition the plastic/rubber and protect from UV rays. Trick is to not slather it on willy nilly, I use a foam paint brush with a light touch, keep layering it after buffing. Brings back to life black trim/plastic, even trim with baked in streaks and discoloration. I took a car that had sat for years in the hot SW sun and it has worked marvelously. I love the stuff and use it on more than trim!

Just piggybacking on this:
Would using 303 Aerospace or similar product add slickness? I want to restore some faded plastic trim on side step bars/running boards - I don't want to introduce any slickness, though.

This is supposed to be one of the best (haven't tried) but not cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Solution-Finish-Black-Plastic-Restorer/dp/B006NZRAFE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=35BOSZ8SKALVZ&dchild=1&keywords=solution+finish+black+trim+restorer&qid=1592061238&s=automotive&sprefix=Solution+%2Cautomotive%2C143&sr=1-3

Search Solution Finish on youtube. (there's a comparo betweeen this vs Turtle Wax too)

Originally Posted by 97tbird

https://www.amazon.com/Solution-Finish-Black-Plastic-Restorer/dp/B006NZRAFE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=35BOSZ8SKALVZ&dchild=1&keywords=solution+finish+black+trim+restorer&qid=1592061238&s=automotive&sprefix=Solution+%2Cautomotive%2C143&sr=1-3

Search Solution Finish on youtube. (there's a comparo betweeen this vs Turtle Wax too)

Scrub the trim really well with an all-purpose cleaner or Meguiar's #39 as prep.

I tried Solution Finish for the first time earlier and it reminds me of shoe polish? It applies very similarly to shoe polish as well. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

A real good detailer I know uses Solution Finish on his personal vehicle. Waits 24 hrs and tops it with C.Quartz DLUX for the ultimate in protection. He's located in CA.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by 97tbird

Scrub the trim really well with an all-purpose cleaner or Meguiar's #39 as prep.

I tried Solution Finish for the first time earlier and it reminds me of shoe polish? It applies very similarly to shoe polish as well. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Yeah I still haven't bought it, and to be honest I don't think I ever owned an EXTERIOR trim detailing product. The BMW and the Mazda has very little plastic exterior parts that are "trim" parts.
SF did remind me of shoe polish when I was watching the video
smile.gif
Was it messy to apply? What's the best method and applicator type for an even coating of it, IYO?

- The Escape has some very badly sunburnt step bars and and the windshield "cowl" and the rear bumper guard can also use a refreshing. Not sure if it adds to the "character" of a 3rd/extra/beater car or if I should detail it....

Last edited:
I also vote for Wipe New. I was skeptical but I bought a kit with a gift card and was honestly impressed. Easily lasts a year. If you get any on paint, wipe immediately, else you'll be stuck with that smudge on your paint for the next year.

Originally Posted by Broo
I also vote for Wipe New. I was skeptical but I bought a kit with a gift card and was honestly impressed. Easily lasts a year. If you get any on paint, wipe immediately, else you'll be stuck with that smudge on your paint for the next year.

Agreed; it worked great on my Clubman.

WOW That's nice. Guess I am gonna have to try this stuff for my 2010 Escape. The step bars, cowl and the rear bumper pad look like your "before" cowl.

Did you "seal" the refreshed area after detailing for extra protection with some wax or some other product?

Back