Tried some NuFinish today...Not bad!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its so tough to remove I would make sure your applying it thin, thin, thin to where your straining your eyes to make sure you coated that area. Also try some Dawn original formula to make sure the surface is squeaky clean before applying your sealant of choice. Zaino recommends using Dawn before using of thier sealants. Of all the stuff available over the counter NF is one of the best imo. Of course never use Dawn for a maintenance wash. Are you applying the NF in circular motions?

So if one uses NF then a topper, how long does one wait after the NF to apply the topper?
I use Surf City Garage Barrier Reef paste wax and it's really slick stuff and so little goes a long long way, but doesn't last real long. Can of this stuff will take a long time to use up. Its like trying to spread a thin coat of Crisco.

Dawn wash > NF > Barrier Reef. If better & longer lasting results, might give it a thought.
Oh and I use Slick Mist or Surf City Hot Rod detail spray as a between maintainer.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
So if one uses NF then a topper, how long does one wait after the NF to apply the topper?
I use Surf City Garage Barrier Reef paste wax and it's really slick stuff and so little goes a long long way, but doesn't last real long. Can of this stuff will take a long time to use up. Its like trying to spread a thin coat of Crisco.

Dawn wash > NF > Barrier Reef. If better & longer lasting results, might give it a thought.
Oh and I use Slick Mist or Surf City Hot Rod detail spray as a between maintainer.

Good idea with the SC topper. I'd wait 24 hours. Hopefully, you can keep the car in the garage during that time. All this wax talk is making me look forward to the spring time.

Love NF....and have used it for over 20 years. I generally use it once a year...in the spring....and it lasts and beads for that whole year. My 10 year old Focus (silver) looks brand new.

IMO....a great product....at a great price.

I give the Rolla a nice application of NF before winter. Holds up well, but im looking forward to trying out the Collinite 845 to see if its better. I find NF doesnt give the car enough shine. Its nice and clean.. but lacks the wow factor. Of course during winter I could care less about shine. All about durability during that time.

Originally Posted By: grampi
There's no way that NF lasts a year...no way...

yeah what's the deal with that.

wait! If you keep the bottle capped tightly & properly stored, it might last a year!

eek.gif

yeah what's the deal with that.

wait! If you keep the bottle capped tightly & properly stored, it might last a year!

eek.gif

Doesnt last a year... with 2 coats maybe 6-8 months. Lasts me a whole Montreal winter. 4-5 months.

Seems I read somewhere that when one uses NF, in 2 or 4 weeks later to use it again. Don't recall reason why - may be wrong on this, but just seems I read it.

Sorry...it does for me....but my vehicle is garaged and I live in an area with ABOUT 12" of rain and snow each year....and our area does does not use salt products in the winter when there's snow and ice.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Sorry...it does for me....but my vehicle is garaged and I live in an area with ABOUT 12" of rain and snow each year....and our area does does not use salt products in the winter when there's snow and ice.

You may think it does, but I bet in actuality it doesn't...

Seems I read somewhere that when one uses NF, in 2 or 4 weeks later to use it again. Don't recall reason why - may be wrong on this, but just seems I read it.

yes you probably saw this on the bottle. nf recommends you apply a 2nd coat 30 days later.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

You may think it does, but I bet in actuality it doesn't...

if water still beads i would say it does have some level of protection remaining. considering its garaged i can believe it. mine sits outside all year around and can get 6-8 months so its not far off...

On the recent Consumer Reports test, NuFinish only lasted a couple of months. Too bad they didn't test products like Collinite and Duragloss---the stuff of legends on detailing forums.

Originally Posted By: Capa
On the recent Consumer Reports test, NuFinish only lasted a couple of months. Too bad they didn't test products like Collinite and Duragloss---the stuff of legends on detailing forums.

They didn't test any Zaino or Klasse products either...all 4 I think are better than NF...

Last edited:
Ok so after reading all 8 pages of posts. I decided to go to Pepboys and get a can of NuFinish with $2.00 off for $6.00 to use on my dads 2000 Honda Accord which has been sitting outside for many many years. Its light purple. The finish is rough and it doesnt reflect very well. After applying NF an hour ago. I am amazed! It has a shine and I can see trees and clouds reflect off of it. It looks quite good. Previously I used Klasse and it didnt protect or reflect that well. Man as I get older I want to spend less and less time doing grunt work. I have a whole garage filled with a whole set of expensive Meguiar's stuff , Mother's, Zymol, Klasse, and now NuFinish.

So far so good...we ll see how long this water beading lasts.

I just did a complete clay bar treatment yesterday on my 2010 Mazda 3. Afterwards i applied NuFinish to every inch of paint. Then did a final wipe with some qwik detailer. Water beads great, its durable, and has very good gloss. I 've always been very pleased with it. Occasionally I get some streaky spots, but they wipe away with any kind of quik detailer. The claybar sets up the paint for a super slick finish.

I use to be a Nu Finish user. then I read up and Zaino was widely regarded as the longest lasting (AIO or their Z5pro) so I went with it when I got my first brand new car. I really like the Zaino products. They go on super easy and look great.

After using Zaino for 7 years now, I just can't seem to get it to last as long as Nu Finish did for me back in the day even though I use Zaino's shampoo which is supposed to extend the life of an application. I have to reapply Zaino AIO every 6 months.

I like that Zaino comes off plastic easier and doesn't stain. Nu finish definitely was hard on unpainted plack plastics and is the main reason I wasn't going to use it on my brand new car in 2006.

In the end, I think I'm going to switch back to Nu Finish. I know more about cleaning and keeping plastic black now than I did before. For me, Nu Finish just makes a lot more sense from an application standpoint, durability and $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back