Tried some H11 LED bulbs in the Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
JHZR2 said:
4D4344A5-0D45-4717-819E-587E40B984CE_zpswvj999ng.jpg

This picture show this LED bulb is working very well, I think you should acquire this pair of LED bulbs(other brands may not work well) and use it for now. The light looks very good without much glare.

Retrofit to HID is very time consuming, you need to disassemble the headlight assemblies to replace the bowls, also find places to install the ballasts ... Quality parts are not cheap, a pair of high quality(Phillips or Osram) can be more than $120-150, plus ballasts and bowls so that the total parts can be more than $300-400.

Very nice! I'd need projectors before I would try LEDs. I have HID projectors to retrofit that I bought probably a year ago, but, haven't gotten a spare set of housings to do it in.

I think they are a good choice. Especially since the electric draw is 21W or so.

Will get a pair for long term test...

Try the New Brights kits on Amazon if you want better results.

I have also recently had great success with the OPT7 kit. They have bigger backs with fans, but truly deliver the light output.

They both use 80W LEDs rather than 15W. That's how your kit gets away with no fan and no driver.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Try the New Brights kits on Amazon if you want better results.

I have also recently had great success with the OPT7 kit. They have bigger backs with fans, but truly deliver the light output.

They both use 80W LEDs rather than 15W. That's how your kit gets away with no fan and no driver.

The results I had are quite good at this point. Happy to not have fans, and no drivers either. If I had space for drivers (without pulling the bumper to mount), Id go with 4300K HIDs using Phillips bulbs and the Acura TL projectors...

But point well taken, lots of options out there.

I kind of think the glass surround on the LED helps to ensure that more generated heat goes back on the copper tube to the heatsink, which is preferable than rejecting heat in the housing, IMO.

Are the high beams halogen on your car?? I'm thinking they probably are. My regular headlights are HIDs obviously. My high beam lights are halogen which work very well in combination with HIDs. I've heard that this combination is actually better than all HID function. I would think that this would be true for LED too ??

The reason you don't want HID for high beams is because it's impossible to do an effective flash-to-pass, and when you really need highs, you'll be waiting for them to warm up first.

This is why the highs don't come on when you flash-to-pass on a bi-xenon equipped vehicle.

LEDs do not have this issue.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Are the high beams halogen on your car?? I'm thinking they probably are. My regular headlights are HIDs obviously. My high beam lights are halogen which work very well in combination with HIDs. I've heard that this combination is actually better than all HID function. I would think that this would be true for LED too ??

I have all HID functionality on my 135i. I think it tilts the projector so that there is no warm up delay.

Since high beams WILL glare and are not meant for long term use in oncoming traffic, my plan is to retrofit HIR bulbs in at some point. Since the high beams are not used for DRL, they will last and it will be good.

Every day I get a nice dose of glare from the folks whose vision or attention span is shot. I am talking about those driving with the high beams on all the time. I guess if that's OK there should be no need to upgrade stock headlights, right?

I am not exaggerating, either. I see it multiple times, every day.

I too see a lot of excessive high beam use.

Still, as lousy as it may be, it's not the intent of the high beams, IMO.

I agree with your thinking on this too.

I have to say I honestly don't mind people leaving their high beams on passing me the other way on route 199 near me. We had 17 deer hit and killed in under 2 weeks this past November. On that 4 lane divided highway I can understand people leaving their high beams on. I do turn mine down. But I understand if the other person driving the other way doesn't. Plus with my 3200 lumen HIDs I am all right with just them anyhow. My high beams are a very strong combination with HIDs. I don't want to blind anyone unnecessarily.

I think those work excellently in your housings.

Not many do but in this case.. No issues.

Yeah, still using and still pleased. I will be interested to better understand behavior in hot weather.

I do wish I could find 3000+ lumen 4500-ish K LEDs. All the high lumen ones all seem to be at 6-8k K

@ JHRZ--

Great Post--- you do good work. Please don't take my critique as anything negative!

This to me is so close to being right. The pics tell a good story. It betters an HID projector retrofit I tried 2-3 years ago so by no means am I implying I've done better....

Great upper cutoff. Smooth left-to-right distribution. Color seems decently balanced, and color rendering better than the HID setup I attempted.

The *only* sub-par.... The distribution definitely favors the mid-ground. That's better than favoring foreground. However while there is light at the upper cutoff, there should be more. And you can see that with the halogen comparo -- it's much more hotter at the cutoff where the light reaches out and requires the most reach, relative the fore and mid-ground. It's only an imbalance for distance vision such as highway. This current system would probably seem excellent in town.

I'm being picky--- my retrofit did the same thing and I eventually swapped back.

Certainly, the results here are better than plenty of oem lamps I've known. In the real world, it's usable and looks traffic friendly, which to me is hugely important.

Great Post--- glad to see the pics too,

Interesting assessment, thank you!

All I can say, is that due to the coloration, lumens, or who knows what else, the long distance throw, practically speaking, is much better than with the halogens. I was rather disappointed with the stock h11 bulbs, and being a late night driver on the secluded and very rural US 301 rather often, I am pleased with these.

There is just enou oncoming truck traffic (bypassing I95 tolls) that you can't consistently run high beams. The car doesn't have low beams to augment...

I would love a few more lumens or some more long distance throw, but these are an improvement on stock, so I'm pleased, fwiw...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back