Tree droppings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Pollen washes off easily. Sap isn't a big deal anywhere I frequent.

But those maple seed whirlybirds, and flowering tree pedals, and little covers from leaves coming out, what a mess!

They catch and lodge in every crevice in a car. Under hood and worse, in the area forward of the front door, between the inner and outer fender.

Areas where a standard crevice tool is too big. Areas where a micro cleaning kit (the kind that reduces to around a 1/2" flexible hose) can't get enough suction and clog on the first leaf litter they find because the opening is too small.

So what works? Mechanical agitation to a location more easily vacuumed?

What's the best tool? Chopsticks? Straws? Wire?

I already have a decent buildup in there.

Thanks!

Compressed air, lots and lots of compressed air! I feel your pain as I have to park very close to Italian Cypress trees and these things are debris city. Compressed air works the best for me...

Sometimes you have no choice but to remove the cowl cover to get the stuff that found its way under it (especially those maple seed whirlybird pieces). It can and does clog body drains that can cause rust to start and also find their way into the cabin air filter or heater blower and causes a racket.
Usually its no big deal except for removing the wiper arms. Shop vac, compressed it, sticks whatever it takes to clean it out.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: double vanos
Compressed air, lots and lots of compressed air!
+`1

+2

There were also a bit of them trapped by the cabin air filter. I had to use a vacuum cleaner suck those out.

Another first world problem. I once spent a morning removing a shopping bag full of humus from the cowls of a Grand Wagoneer. Ecologically speaking, who is the invasive species?

Originally Posted By: andyd
Another first world problem. I once spent a morning removing a shopping bag full of humus from the cowls of a Grand Wagoneer. Ecologically speaking, who is the invasive species?

Oh man, that is one thing I don't miss when cars had metal cowls and the dam stuff gets past the metal grate that can't be removed....

Originally Posted By: andyd

The first world problem may actually be that though I have every convenience necessary to make life easy, I still don't have the time to clean it well!

That's why I want to do it easier!

Originally Posted By: newbe46
This is an East coast problem. Living in Toronto I can totally understand the annoyance.

Would you like to see the same thing on the US West coast? I can take a picture for you. Maple trees are everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Originally Posted By: newbe46
This is an East coast problem. Living in Toronto I can totally understand the annoyance.

Would you like to see the same thing on the US West coast? I can take a picture for you. Maple trees are everywhere.

Yep. It doesn’t matter where you live, if you have trees then you have pollen, sap, and all kinds of material floating around. Then you also have the birds who perch in the trees and drop poo all over your car as well.

Long ago we drove through the redwoods of Northern California. I kept finding redwood needles years later while cleaning. Those things are insidious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back