Door jambs, trunks, fenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
I have exactly the same problem and changing parking spot is not a solution. I tried handheld vacuum and I broke it. Finally, I found Metro Vacuum SK-1 Air Force Blaster Sidekick Compact & Portable Motorcycle Dryer on Amazon but I am just not too sure if its worth the price. So far, I have not figured out any alternative but I am open for some cheaper options.

My concern with this kind of approach is that you can actually force water and/or dirt deeper into crevices or through and around seals. Not necessarily whatyou want.

Ive had great success with my echo leaf blower for bulk drying. Id prefer to get the garbage out of the crevice areas, not who knows where with high pressure. But it may be a good idea for some spots... Youre right though, the cost is high. Cheap would be to use one's air compressor regulated down, I suppose...

From the example pics I can tell the jambs aren't maintained with every wash or the wash interval is long. In situations like this I prepare a separate bucket of wash water, scrub the jambs with my wash mitt, and rinse with the hose (from the sill down). You'll be AMAZED virtually no water gets in the car if you're careful. After this spend a little extra time rinsing to chase away tree debris, hit it with a leaf blower after, and maintain the jambs with each wash simply by drying them with a chamois and you should be in perfect shape.
thumbsup2.gif

I wipe down my door jams after every wash. I do the same the the hatch and hood. If you park outside, then you will get leaves and other stuff in all these spots.

I would remove the wiper arms and use a vacuum to grab all those leaves.

Don't forget to look at and wax the rain "gutter" under the rear window/beneath the rear of the trunk lid...

My cousin did and after a few years it was packed, I mean PACKED SOLID with leaves and debris...had I not caught it the "soilpack" would have acted like a sponge, rusting out the "gutter" there...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofast182
From the example pics I can tell the jambs aren't maintained with every wash or the wash interval is long. In situations like this I prepare a separate bucket of wash water, scrub the jambs with my wash mitt, and rinse with the hose (from the sill down). You'll be AMAZED virtually no water gets in the car if you're careful. After this spend a little extra time rinsing to chase away tree debris, hit it with a leaf blower after, and maintain the jambs with each wash simply by drying them with a chamois and you should be in perfect shape.
thumbsup2.gif

yes Ive never hit the jambs, because Ive never known how to do it best.

Debris like that is best kept in check by just wiping it down every time you wash the car.

I dry the car off, and then with the now damp towel, wipe down the door, trunk, and hood nooks and crannies. It does a good job of keeping them clean.

The helicopters in the crevice of the door jamb however, has me stumped. Normally I try to get a vacuum down in there with a small nozzle but the silver maple ones (like most of yours) are too big to get sucked through the nozzle...

Originally Posted By: cchase
Debris like that is best kept in check by just wiping it down every time you wash the car.

I dry the car off, and then with the now damp towel, wipe down the door, trunk, and hood nooks and crannies. It does a good job of keeping them clean.

The helicopters in the crevice of the door jamb however, has me stumped. Normally I try to get a vacuum down in there with a small nozzle but the silver maple ones (like most of yours) are too big to get sucked through the nozzle...

I do this too, but have switched to using a 50:50 mix of water and an all purpose cleaner like Adam's. Works even better on my white car where you can see everything!

--Matt

I like using ONR on those hard to reach places, or places normally covered during a normal wash. It's easy and effective.

I use a waterless product product on the jambs (door, trunk, under hood) and cowling ares then using a detail spray after every wash on all jamb surfaces. This makes them very easy to clean over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back