Oil Filters.jpg

I Compared These Two Filters
They are identical in every way that I could see or measure
except for the packaging and color of the O-rings. Even the
odd chemical smell that I noticed on the TRD filter some time
back is obvious on the Royal Purple. Going forward, I'll buy the
one that offers the best price.

View attachment 104314
Are they both made here in the USA? I use the TRD filter, and it is USA, curious about the Royal Purple.

Are trd filters backed by the same warranty as if using an oe filter, Or can the dealer service department void a possible warranty claim if related to the lube system?

Are trd filters backed by the same warranty as if using an oe filter, Or can the dealer service department void a possible warranty claim if related to the lube system?
I have purchased them at the Toyota dealer before, so I wouldn't assume there'd be an issue, but.... you know what they say happens when you assume 🙂

The filters are available thru many, if not all, Toyota and Lexus Parts Departments, and from what I've been able to determine, they carry the same warranties as the basic filters.

Some praise the quality of oe Toyota can filters are these trd much more hefty internally? The trd filter with the nut looks like it would be twin to the kn wrench on filters.

I'm pretty sure that both the cartridge and can filters under those brand labels are pretty much the same as what is offered under the Amsoil brand. All are made by Champ.
I wanted to obtain an Amsoil equivalent for comparison, but at the times I bought these, Amsoil was out of stock on 'em. The price for the Amsoil is now $26.50, about 55% more than the TRD and RP at the last check. More, by a wide margin, than I want to spend on a filter.

Shel, between the strut tower bars and the fancy oil filters you will be getting too many speeding tickets. The El Cerrito police will probably put you in Jail . Been in the El Cerrito jail it is not a fun place to be !

Shel, between the strut tower bars and the fancy oil filters you will be getting too many speeding tickets. You will probably be arrested for hot rodding around.
Well, when I get my TRD billet oil cap and the TRD billet aluminum gas cap hinge, watch out. That Camry will fly.

Before my last trip, I put some High-Speed air in my tires. The difference on the freeway compared to the "around town" air that usually fills the tires was remarkable.

Shel, did you remember to change the blinker fluid?
My Camry is too old for blinker fluid. It uses the older, mechanical winkers. Pain in the ass to keep'em adjusted properly.

You can use ANY brand filter you want, with your engine, while under warranty.

I have yet to see a dealer void a warranty based on the filter used, as long as the filter hasn't failed. I haven't seen too many aftermarket filter failures that caused an engine to seize. The benefit of a cartridge is that it is easy to inspect for failures.

If an aftermarket filter fails, you are at the mercy of the filter manufacturer.

The Amsoil, RoyalPurple, and TRD filters were all once rolling thru the same manufacturer as noted. But, unless tested, you'll never know if the media is the same. There are plenty of media types at various price points. So, they could have the same media performance, or 3 completely different perfomance.... single/multipass efficiency, holding capacity, nominal/absolute micron.... Someone employed at Champ could answer that question for us.

At this point in the engines life, 10+years and whatever mileage, the oil/filter chosen now won't make much of a difference. Too many get hung up on manufacturer intervals/grades/filters.... and wait for the warranty to expire before doing the right thing.

A brand is just a name label attached to a product in many cases these days and it’s obvious with oil filters.

Those who would never buy a Black and Decker tool but swear on DeWalt don’t realize they are made by the same company probably using the same parts in some cases.

Back