Trasko on Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running a Trasko on my wifes minivan engine for a while, happy with the results. (UOA's posted previously, new +10K miles UOA coming in about a week).

Anyone thought about using a Trasko on a transmission? I don't know what kind of pressure you typically get with transmission fluid. I like the idea of fitting a remote Trasko and using clear tubing for the plumbing, and observing the transmission fluid. The minivan has a remote cooler, so it is very simple to tap in to the existing hoses and install an extra filter. Also have an extra cooler to bolt on, and may as well do all the plumbing at the same time.

Keith.

Well, you might want to think a second time about the clear tubing. You have to get something that will stand up to oil and heat.

Friend put an AMSOIL bypass filter on his van. Thought it would be neat to have clear tubing on the return so everyone could see how clean the oil was, and he routed it through the passenger compartment. Driving along the beltway, he saw the tubing start to blow up like a balloon. Just as he got to the side, it popped! A nice warm oil shower!

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Well, you might want to think a second time about the clear tubing. You have to get something that will stand up to oil and heat.

I was thinking about using that really thick clear tube with built in spiral strengthening, the kind used for fuel hose? Wasn't planning on using some cheap old clear tube
smile.gif

That is a good disclaimer though. Always use tube rated for the job, clear or otherwise.

Keith.

As long as the tubing is temperature and pressure rated, suitable for oil contact, and as long as it going to a low pressure dump (sump, valve cover) etc... it should be O.K. But most clear tubing I find isn't rated for 300F continuous.

Besides, once the oil is clean, you won't notice any difference in the color on either side of the filter.

DEWFPO

[ April 14, 2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: DEWFPO ]

Keith-

I have same idea what you are doing. I am considering move my Trasko to use transmission filteration. I am concern about the transmission's temperature pretty very hot than motor oil. Will Trasko handle that temperature? I am consider buy a oil guard EPS-20 for my jeep reason i am running a full-syn Mobil 1. I would go for Motor Guard and Ralph said not recommend the Motor Guard with Full-Syn oil. It would wasted money.

Which is the motor oil bypass filter are you going get?

I would probably be better to have some type of connection with a sight glass in the line instead of clear tubing. I don't know if the kind exists that would withstand the pressure and heat the way good hydraulic hose would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back