Transmission slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '95 Saturn SC1 has recently started slipping at times (most recently yesterday morning when going up a fairly steep hill at around 45 MPH). The vehicle experiences some hesitation and vibration, but no noise. It has Mobil 1 ATF for a little over three years (and I'd guess around 30K miles).

Does this simply indicate that the fluid and filter are in need of changing? Should doing so solve the slipping problem, or could the culprit be something else?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

How many Miles on the car? I don't know much about auto transmissions, but I think slipping is typically an early sign of failure?(how long it will last after it starts slipping is anyones guess)

EDIT: Have you checked the fluid level, how does the fluid look?

Last edited:
Probably not much you can do I would drop the pan and inspect it if it was mine but it could be a waste of time and money.A used trans shouldn't be much for that car I would check car-part.com to get an idea of prices if you plan to repair.

A fluid/filter change may or may not help it. It could just be getting worn out. An automatic only has so many shifts in it.

How many miles are on the car? Any idea of what the maintenance history was before the last change?

There's no pan on these. If the TCC is working properly and your electrical system is healthy (to run the solenoids), then rustle up a trans.

Usually they get valve body problems and slam a bunch between shifts, but transfer power well while in gear.

Trans changes take a mechanic about half a day, so this might not be the kiss of death. I'd have a junkyard put one in, actually, so they guarantee both part and installation and can dig up more parts if they snap something incidental.

The pan is located on the top of this transaxle. Removal is unnecessary. Remove the drain plug and replace the spin-on ATF filter. Install the drain plug and add any Dex III or better. Report back.

Sounds like the tranny is starting to go. If you plan to keep the car until it is considered totaled, I would look for another tranny. If not, sell the Saturn and get something else.

Change fluid. I had a friend with similar symptoms, he drain and fllled the fluid, then again every time it started slipping (about every 10k) then after 4 changes it didn't slip again for 50k. Worth a shot.

Originally Posted By: reemoe2
My '95 Saturn SC1 has recently started slipping at times (most recently yesterday morning when going up a fairly steep hill at around 45 MPH). The vehicle experiences some hesitation and vibration[, but no noise. It has Mobil 1 ATF for a little over three years (and I'd guess around 30K miles).

Does this simply indicate that the fluid and filter are in need of changing? Should doing so solve the slipping problem, or could the culprit be something else?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

You may not have a transmission problem but an engine performance issue.
Being an electronically controlled transmission any engine issue can have a direct impact on the transmission.

With a little luck this 95 could be an OBD II car, it will say on the emission control label, which can make diagnosing easier.
Any CEL?

Originally Posted By: Trav

You may not have a transmission problem but an engine performance issue.
Being an electronically controlled transmission any engine issue can have a direct impact on the transmission.

With a little luck this 95 could be an OBD II car, it will say on the emission control label, which can make diagnosing easier.
Any CEL?

Yes, be careful. I once had a "slipping transmission" that turned out to be a bad throttle position sensor($29). No codes were thrown and the tranny shop owner had to ride with me for about an hour while observing a scan tool to diagnose the problem.

221K miles and no CEL codes. It is OBD I (can use a paper clip to check the codes). I had a rebuilt transmission put in about 5 years ago; no trouble until now. The stuttering is still pretty sporadic, as it may just slip once during my entire 20 mile commute to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back