"Racing" '02 Auto 4cyl Accord: A/T maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just give you a little background:

I've owned a 2002 4cyl Auto accord since new in in May '02, and started to Autocross it on a monthly/bi-weekly basis when it had roughly 7k miles on the odometer. At around 10k miles, I installed an auxiliary plate+fin ATF cooler in line with the factory radiator-based cooler. At the same time, I did 3 ATF-Z1 drain+refills over a 100 mile span, and have performed one drain+refill every 10k miles until now.

I have only used Honda ATF-Z1 until now, the car has 45k miles, and have not had a single issue with the transmission until recently. Autocross (for this car), consists of a launch with the transmission locked in '1', and shift into the '2' locked position, and that's it. Clearly, my transmission has held up fairly well, and has not "worn" out as a direct result of Auto-X. In fact, my 1-2 upshifts and downshifts occur smoothly, without any slip/flare at all (like new).

Now, here's where it gets complicated. For a 2 month period, my dad and I swapped cars. My dad only drove my car for 1k miles, and as far as I can tell, didn't do anything weird/special to the Accord. When I got it back, I didn't notice anything weird/wrong, perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough. When the first cold front came through (about a month ago), I noticed that the transmission did not shift the way it used to shift. On some random occasions I'd notice slipping, but I cannot remember between which gears the slip occured. I assumed that the auxiliary transmission cooler could be overcooling the fluid, and the fluid may have broken down earlier than normal. The ATF on the dipstick did not smell funny, but it looked "watered" down and thinner than usual.

As soon as I had the chance, I did one drain+refill of Honda ATF-Z1 and purchased a transmission temp gauge.

Yeah, it's about to get more complicated, timing is a #@$%! :p

I attended my first ever open track event, shortly after doing the above-mentioned ATF-Z1 drain+refill. I did a good amount of maintenance to prep for this event (oil/filter change, flush brakes for higher boiling point fluid, regrease/inspect front/rear brakes, change the ATF, etc.).

Unfortunately, I ran out of time and was only able to install the temp sending unit, along with the appropriate brass fittings in the outgoing cooler line (directly out the trans; no suitable locations on the transmission case to install the sending unit).

Unlike Auto-X, the open track event consisted of 42 laps around a 2.8 mile course at much higher speeds, broken down into 20 minutes sessions spread over the entire day. On the the long straight part of the course, I was doing a max of 100-105 mph.

I noticed that coming off the course, pulling into the pits, the transmission would take slightly longer than normal to shift in/out of D4/N, which I've noticed in the past when I've autocrossed in 100* weather (Texas). No big deal, I assumed it would be normal to get a little hot.

During my last two sessions, for which I made the mistake of running back-to-back, the transmission had serious trouble upshifting down the pit lane (slipping in excess of 1-2k RPMs). As soon as I got back up to speed, the transmission presumeably cooled off, and went back to normal.

After the weekend was over, I drove home to Houston, and noticed the transmission was back to it's unusual behavior from when the cold front first hit. I noticed that there was a very small amount of slip/flair on the 2-3 upshift/downshift, while the 1-2 and 3-4 upshift/downshifts were OK.

A couple of days ago, I drained the transmission and did not find a noticeable amount of metal shavings on the drain plug. I relocated the cooler so that it gets a siginifcantly higher amount of air flow, as it was blocked by a large portion of the front bumper. At the same time, I decided it would be a good idea to run a mix of Honda ATF-Z1, and a higher quality synthetic ATF. I settled on Mobil1 ATF given it's local availability, and the fact that would run it with the Z1 to make the transmission function properly.

Since the transmission holds 6.4 quarts, and a drain+refill is 2.6 quarts, I added ~2.6 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF to obtain a 40/60 ratio. I noticed absolutely no change in shift quality at all. I then drove 50 miles, noticed a slight improvement in shift quality, and drained the ATF again. This time I removed various solenoids, and the 3rd clutch pressure switch from the transmission, and cleaned them. THey were fairly clean, but I noticed that the mesh screen on the A/B pressure switch were a tad dirty. I reinstalled the solenoids, and refilled with 1qt+8oz of Mobil1 ATF, and the rest with Z1, to refresh the Z1 that was still in there. This made for a 45/55 ratio of M1 and Z1, or 2.9 total quarts of M1, and ~3.5 quarts of Z1.

I noticed a good improvement in shift quality, and noticed that it got better over the 10 mile trip. I have not driven the car again (yet), but am convinced that the shift quality will continue to improve. As of now my 1-2 and 3-4 up/down shifts are perfect, while the 2-3 shift still has a small amount of flare/slip left.

Looking around here, I found that adding 2-3 oz of Lubegard may help, especially since the M1 ATF does not have the FMs required by my transmission.

Should I run out to the store and try the Lubegard, or wait until I've driven 200+ miles and see if it continues to get better?

Depending one whether or not I run the Lubegard, and if the shift quality continues to improve, I am considering switching changing my maintenance routine so that the AT contains 60% M1 ATF, 40% Z1 ATF, along with the appropriate amount of Lubegard black to match the amount of M1 ATF in the transmission.

I'm awaiting for more advice on the matter before I decide to start running Lubegard, and/or change the ratio of M1/Z1 in my transmission. Currently, I still plan on attending another track event, with the transmission temp gauge installed, along with the newly relocated cooler. Hopefully the transmisson gauge should tell me when I am dumping the most heat into the fluid (at idle or at speed?).

So, Lubegard Black? Yes or no?

Ah, I forgot to ask: Does anyone know what the typical ideal operating temps are for a newer (98+) Honda auto? Depending on what I find out, and what the temps look like on the street during hte winter, I will seriously consider installing a 180* fluid thermostat from Derale. If I find that the transmission is getting too hot at idle, I may also consider installing a fan to pump cold air thru the aux cooler.

I also was curious as to whether or not runnint a 60/40 M1/Z1 ratio along with Lubegard Black is a good idea. I'm basically moving away from using 100% Z1 as I feel that it cannot hold up to the temps I am seeing at the track...

Well, after re-reading some posts here, I decided to jump the gun and add jsut under 3oz of Lubegard black to match the amount of M1 ATF in my transmission. So far, as far as I can tell, teh 2-3 upshift slip is gone. The 2-3 downshift is still a little funny, but a lot better. Let's see if it continues to get better...

M1 ATF needs Lubegard Black to obtain the correct frictional properties for use in Honda automatics. A wiser choice would be to use Amsoil ATF, which is suitable for use in Honda automatics right out of the bottle.

Good luck...

Yep, I think once I finish off my box of Z1 fluid I'll make the switch to Amsoil.

Unfortunately, I took my accord on a semi long trip today and noticed that the 2-3 slip is back, and fairly noticeable. It seemed to go away when the temps seemed higher (gauge not installed yet).

Do you guys think it'll be worthwhile to take it to a shop and have the transmission flushed?

You've changed the transmission fluid many, many times now and should have mostly new fluid in there. I doubt a flush is going to help at this point (just me), but may be worth a try to you.

Hate to say it, but Honda slushboxes in that generation weren't the best Honda has ever made. You're headed into rebuild territory...

Good part is that rebuilding a Honda 4-speed Automatic shouldn't run more than $2500 in many cases. Do you have extended warranty?

Unfortunately, no extended warranty.

The reason why I brought up the flush is for the possibility of any dirt or metal paricles that may have been kicked up and lodged in a passage, or somehow preventing the proper flow of fluid to the affected clutches, after I threw it around the track for the first time. Sound unrealistic?

Another possible issue is that the auxiliary cooler may be full of enough metal shavings, or gunk, to create a restriction or a substantial pressure drop. I think I'll try and disconnect it to see if it improves the situation.

What do you think? As a final resort, I'll take it to Cottman and a local independent Honda shop for a proper diagnosis.

I'm really hoping that I don't need a rebuild at 45k, but it seems likely...

I've noticed that the warmer the transmission is, the less likely it is to slip. Again I don't have the gauge installed (hardware stores are closed), so it'll be a while before I get to see the link between cold temps and slip. Up until know I've been convinced that my auxiliary cooler is overcooling my fluid during the winter, especially since I've relocated it to receive more airflow...

Pranav, you need to learn your transmission. Some trannies dump PSI if temp is too cold. Or, it might adjust shift timing to smooth cold shifts. Regardless, you'll need temp and PSI gauges to figure out the cold shift issue, if it is an issue.

I doubt a flush is going to help. Stick with reasonable maintenance intervals. When you run out of lubegard black, start using platinum for future drain/refills with the Mobil1 ATF or Redline D4.

If you're mechanically inclined and have the factory service manual, you should consider 'tightening' the VB specs some.

http://www.trannytools.com/parts/parts/88950-T.htm
http://www.transtec.com/tech_insert/94626.pdf

Well, just as a quick update, I disconnected the aux cooler and went back to the factory cooling route: made no difference whatsoever.

unDummy, thanks very much for the link. I've got a Helms FSM, but am still a novice when it comes to fully understanding automatic transmissions (still learning, however). Tightening the VB Specs?

I have pulled off and inspected the B and C Shift contorl solenoids, along with the 3rd clutch and A/T clutch pressure solenoids and have found no out-of-spec resistance or dirt/blockages. That and going back to the factory cooler routing is all of the diagnosis I've been able to do so far.

I really wish I had a spare transmission to borrow while I rebuild my original myself (over a long term; lots of things to learn and tools to acuqire/borrow). Currently I'm not quite sure what my options/needs are for transmission replacement/rebuild/repairing, but I would definitely like to avoid paying someone else to rebuild my transmission. Worst case route would be to purchase a rebuilt transmission for ~$1k off eBay and install it myself...

Hopefully I'll at least be able to get a diagnosis at least 2 independent shops by the end of this week...

Manual tranny swap or aftermarket "upgrades" are out of the question for this car. I'd like to not make any permanent modifications that would make it more difficult to sell in the future. Besides the transmission issue, the rest of the car is in excellent shape. I've done 5k OCIs with Mobil1 5w30 and Honda-Flitech filters, and now recently Wix filters. Suspension, chassis, brakes, and almost all of the paint is in excellent shape, just need to take care of a few scratches on the front/rear bumpers...

I'd get a professional diagnosis before doing anything else...

A 4-speed Honda unit can be rebuilt for $2-$2.5k...so look into that route unless you are really technically inclined and/or have a lot of time on your hands, and can live without a car for a while.

did you ever check the tranny fluid level? You mention you added a cooler, this adds additional capacity to the system.

I have a 2003 i4 auto accord, i once did a drain/fill of M1 ATF (3 quarts out of 7), no additives. It ran fine for about 4K miles at which point the TC no longer seemed to lock up, causing cruising speeds to be ~500 rpms too high. I did two drain/fills of Z1 and the problem disappeared and has not returned.

I don't directly monitor fluid temp, but I have an IR thermometer which I check the external tranny fluid filter temp and I think it was usually around 170-180F after hard driving during the summer. Temp the same regardless of fluid.

You can get a rebuild
Tightening specs requires you to measure the line pressures and make adjustments as needed(see link to the above tool).
Thicker fluid is also an option. Pennzoil HM ATF and some race ATFs are thicker then the normal 7cst fluids. A little lubegard platinum should prevet TCU confusion with a non-Z1 fluid. A standard visc high mileage ATF, like Valvoline, might also salvage tired seals reducing internal PSI loss. Maxlife should work well without additives.

If your line pressures test out good and high, then test the electronics(wiring, solenoids, grounds, TPS, engine RPM, vehicle speed, and temp sensors,...).

Have you installed a temp gauge yet to monitor daily driving and track temps?

Quote:

I had the same car and the same problem. Those accords are known for their problematic transmissions. Mine started to slip at 60k miles when it was cold outside from gear 2-3. and rough downshifts from 3-2. But when the car was completely warmed up, the slipping went away, but the rough downshift was still noticeable.

heres a TSB

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6647

Amasing, I'm experiencing the EXACT same symptoms, only that when the car is fully warm (Driving for a while), the 2-3 upshift slip is still noticeable.

The link you send me is a snippet of the troubleshooting list from the Helms (Honda) FSM. NOt sure if it qualifies as a "TSB"

What did you end up doing? Get it fixed or live with it?

FYI, still haven't had time to go to a shop yet. Will do early next week (swamped with work).

Ehh. I just recently sold the car and bought a brand new subaru with a 5 speed.

I went to my mechanic and he quoted me around $1,200 to fix it. So that week I got rid of it. It's kinda funny how I changed the tranny oil every other oil change and it still ended up having problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back