Transmission Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
My transmission has a lifetime filter/screen that doesn't need to be removed according to the manual. The transmission has a drain plug which I remove to drain the fluid. I clean the drain plugs magnet and put it back in.

The manual and the dealer for my 04 accord V6 say the same thing, yet I have changed the transmission oil filter twice. Every time I go in the dealer to order one the parts guy tells me the same thing, "There is not a serviceable filter on that transmission." I tell him to look in the parts book and sure enough, there it is.

Originally Posted By: Junior
My transmission has a lifetime filter/screen that doesn't need to be removed according to the manual. The transmission has a drain plug which I remove to drain the fluid. I clean the drain plugs magnet and put it back in.

"There is not a serviceable filter on that transmission." I tell him to look in the parts book and sure enough, there it is.

LOL i have had that exact experience many o times!

Originally Posted By: exranger06
At 120k miles, yes I would drop the pan. I dropped the pan on my Explorer at about 140k miles and there was a thick layer of sludgy junk on the pan and the magnet had tons of material stuck to it. Definitely good to clean that out.

Hmmmm,that doesnt sound good.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that if a tranny filter gets clogged it becomes harder for the pump to push fluid through the tranny and pre mature pump failure can occur. Any truth to this?

No,its more like the transmission burns up due to lack of lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Junior

The manual and the dealer for my 04 accord V6 say the same thing, yet I have changed the transmission oil filter twice. Every time I go in the dealer to order one the parts guy tells me the same thing, "There is not a serviceable filter on that transmission." I tell him to look in the parts book and sure enough, there it is.

I have seen what the non-serviceable screen looks like with my own eyes because I didn't believe the parts counter guy when I was due for my first change.

I also own a technical service manual and it shows it and tells you it is "For Life"

I was skeptical...
grin2.gif

Your application may very well be that way. My point was to not always trust the operator manual or the parts guy behind the counter. The filter for the Accord is a little (approximately 2 inch in diameter ) cartridge filter. Looks similar to what is used on motorcycles for engine oil filters.

Junior absolutely... Always have to ask questions.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm of the "Trust No One" ... Until evidence/proof can be provided.
grin2.gif

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back