transmission filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
can i fit an additional filter, say into my auto's oil cooler lines? i have in mind one of the little filter adapter thingies which take a puroline L10241. or am i just wasting my time

Yep, just make sure it has a bypass.

Most aftermarket ATF filters are simply spliced into the ATF cooler lines.

Yes, Caster, you can get a Ford style remote filter mount and use a PH3614/PL10241 size filter. You'll probably need to bushing down the normal 1/2" openings down to 1/4" or whatnot. The brass barbs and stuff can be found, typically, at most NAPA part stores, as can the trans cooler line that you'll need to extend the lines to your install.

McMaster Carr also has the stuff you need.

If you want to go bigger, there are hydraulic filters (the mount and the element) for a very reasonable price at Northern Tool. In those installations, the mount has the bypass freature built into it.

Here's the WIX part number for a mount.

Part Number: 24762
UPC Number: 765809247628
Principal Application: Remote Mounting Base - Accepts 3/4-16 Threaded Filters. (Single Inlet/Outlet with Female 1/2" NPT)
All Applications
Style: Filter Mounting Base
Service: Base
Note: Remote Mount Spin-On Filter Bases

Mounting holes are conveniently located. Vertical inlet and outlet ports are 1/2" female N.P.T. Select suitable filter from listing.

-

The price may be a bit more at NAPA (the wix number will convert for them, probably FIL4762)

Keep in mind that SummitRacing offers a trans kit for about $30 ..but factor in their flat rate handline charge if you're a bean counter.
dunno.gif
Between NAPA and Home Depot you may beat the price.

Again, the NorthernTool deal is pretty good too.

B&M and Perma-Cool both market a trans filter kit that uses the equilivant of an FL-1A or FL-300 Motorcraft engine oil filter. I installed one on my Escape. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back