transfer panel help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've slowly but surely been acquiring everything I need to create a whole house backup system in case of on-grid failure. Got an appropriately rated 3 cylinder diesel generator and inlet box, matching cs6365 cord with a high enough wattage rating, and my certified electrician buddy is ready to wire everything up when I am.

The only item I still need is a transfer panel. I've been shopping around, but thought I'd check here for some input. My buddy doesn't do home backups too often, and felt the dealers could better answer questions about their products than he could. I want one of the dual rated panels meant to serve as both the service main box and transfer switch, due to available space constraints. Can I buy one with the dual pole main wired for transfer switch only, or does each circuit need it's own switch? I have 60 amp inlet service. Row one has four 20 amp single pole breakers, and row 2 has one 30 amp 2 pole breaker, one 20 amp two pole breaker, and three 20 amp single pole breakers. Also, can anyone recommend a reputable dealer based on experience? Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I order the right unit.

If you have a genset capable of 5000w or more, the heck with the transfer panel. you need an intelligent switch that drops to the generator when poco drops, and will not allow a reconnect if the generator is hot.

that way you backfeed thru an appropriate sized breaker and can usually power everything but a dryer and stove

I myself backfeed thru the welder outlet in the garage from a 5000/6250 genset (and I dont do UOA on it) that way every single outlet and lamp is hot.

Originally Posted By: QuadDriver
If you have a genset capable of 5000w or more, the heck with the transfer panel. you need an intelligent switch that drops to the generator when poco drops, and will not allow a reconnect if the generator is hot.

that way you backfeed thru an appropriate sized breaker and can usually power everything but a dryer and stove

I myself backfeed thru the welder outlet in the garage from a 5000/6250 genset (and I dont do UOA on it) that way every single outlet and lamp is hot.
My genny is 10800/11000 watts, and will be used to power everything. Not sure I follow you on the switch dealie-are you saying the transfer panel isn't safe enough? I have gas appliances, so no 240v socket to feed thru, and I thought backfeeding was illegal. My genny is not automatic, so I was looking for a full manual setup.

back feeding is ok, look up 'separately derived'. you can do this two ways, a service entry switch at the meter, or a switch that drops the poco connection for all 3 conductors and fires up the genset.

at 10Kw, there is no need for you to pick and choose what circuits to xfer - do em all. a lot less wiring

back feeding is ok, look up 'separately derived'. you can do this two ways, a service entry switch at the meter, or a switch that drops the poco connection for all 3 conductors and fires up the genset.

at 10Kw, there is no need for you to pick and choose what circuits to xfer - do em all. a lot less wiring
That's what I was trying to say, but sometimes what I type doesn't make sense. Since I intend to power the whole house, can I go with a transfer/main panel that switches the entire house at the main breaker rather than each individual one?

yes
Ok, sounds like you've been there/done that at one time or another. Any panel dealers you recommend? I've been looking at generator joe, seems like they'll accomodate my needs and pre-wire if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back