How to cut power to breaker box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06

There's a reason why they're no longer available brand new.

They are still available.

I have 200 amp service from 1972. (Zinsco)

I have a smoke detector in every room in my house. You should too!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

Still available or not, smoke detectors or not, you couldn't pay me to keep a Zinsco or Federal Pacific panel in my house.

So, you're ok with having a Zinsco panel because you have smoke detectors? Smoke detectors will only go off AFTER a fire has already started. Even if you and your family get out of the house alive, you'll still have a burnt house. All because you didn't want to replace an inferior panel for whatever reason. And what if the fire starts when nobody is home to hear the smoke detectors? You come home hours later to find a pile of rubble where your house used to be.
Yeah, no thanks. I'll stick with my Eaton CH panel.

Originally Posted By: Al

Still available or not, smoke detectors or not, you couldn't pay me to keep a Zinsco or Federal Pacific panel in my house.

So, you're ok with having a Zinsco panel because you have smoke detectors? Smoke detectors will only go off AFTER a fire has already started. Even if you and your family get out of the house alive, you'll still have a burnt house. All because you didn't want to replace an inferior panel for whatever reason. And what if the fire starts when nobody is home to hear the smoke detectors? You come home hours later to find a pile of rubble where your house used to be.
Yeah, no thanks. I'll stick with my Eaton CH panel.
No way I'd want a known faulty electrical system in my house. Al is big on quick "fixes" that do nothing or maybe actually cause harm. Not surprising.

It sounds like you have a 60 amp service. You really need to upgrade to a 200 amp service, the modern standard. This will require a new meter base, in many cases, as well as a new box and breakers. That may be a good time to get (possibly required) breakers with GFI and / or arc flash protection, or / and whole house surge protection. . That may require cutting the power at the pole, which the electric company will not do for you, but should for a real electrician. You can go to Lowes, etc. and see what the complete 200 amp hardware will cost, which the electrician will install. You will probably end up with the capability to add or upgrade branch circuits, which electrician can discuss with you.

You can just pull the meter to cut all the power.

Hint: Cut the seal, pull the meter and do the work. Then put the meter back in and call the electric company.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Hint: Cut the seal, pull the meter and do the work. Then put the meter back in and call the electric company.
smile.gif

I don't think the electric company will be amused.

Originally Posted By: hatt

smile.gif

Probably not but what would they do? My power company is responsible for "up to the meter". We have to buy the meter socket and meter from them to install. This is exactly what we did when installing and underground feed for my shed that ran though the meter panel installed on the outside of the house and directly outside the panel in the garage.

We pulled the meter to kill all the power. Then fed the wires though the conduit at the top of the panel and out to the conduit going underground. Put the meter back in and then called the power company saying we broke the seal. They actually said thanks for letting them know.

Last edited:

smile.gif

Probably not but what would they do? My power company is responsible for "up to the meter". We have to buy the meter socket and meter from them to install. This is exactly what we did when installing and underground feed for my shed that ran though the meter panel installed on the outside of the house and directly outside the panel in the garage.

We pulled the meter to kill all the power. Then fed the wires though the conduit at the top of the panel and out to the conduit going underground. Put the meter back in and then called the power company saying we broke the seal. They actually said thanks for letting them know.
Better check you local laws. They might cart you off to jail.

Just remember most smart meters have power cut and inversion detection inside them so if it's not allowed to pull them in your area, they will know.

Al is big on quick "fixes" that do nothing or maybe actually cause harm. Not surprising.

Still stalking me eh? You must have a heck of a life!

smile.gif

Better check you local laws. They might cart you off to jail.

Nah I've done it, it pulls right out of the socket. I even hung the little tag back up for them
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
It sounds like you have a 60 amp service. You really need to upgrade to a 200 amp service, the modern standard. This will require a new meter base...

Exactly. It's an old, undersized service with an integrated meter channel. I've never seen anything residential like that where I'm from.

Like said, the meter has to be pulled, I'm sure a new service entrance, new meter channel, new panel. Probably talking thousands to have a company do this for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
It sounds like you have a 60 amp service. You really need to upgrade to a 200 amp service, the modern standard. This will require a new meter base...

Exactly. It's an old, undersized service with an integrated meter channel. I've never seen anything residential like that where I'm from.

Like said, the meter has to be pulled, I'm sure a new service entrance, new meter channel, new panel. Probably talking thousands to have a company do this for you.

I forget, is it free for the power company to upgrade the service drop? If it isn't free, why upgrade from 60A (unless if the drop itself has to be replaced)? I mean, 60Amp is getting the job done today. By all means, put in a 200A panel (as it sounds like this one needs to go, and badly).

My house has a 200A new panel (well it's probably 15 years old, came with the house), all new interior wiring, and still retains 60A service. I've thought a time or two of upgrading, but why? Everything runs just fine, as-is.

Finally, is this panel outdoors? I've never seen that. Only at campgrounds have I seen something like that.

Noone's mentioned yet but this panel looks like it has lots of skinny "two for one" breakers as well, adding to the general sketchiness.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Noone's mentioned yet but this panel looks like it has lots of skinny "two for one" breakers as well, adding to the general sketchiness.

You just know its a rats nest of really scary DIY wiring in there.

Originally Posted By: supton

I forget, is it free for the power company to upgrade the service drop? If it isn't free, why upgrade from 60A (unless if the drop itself has to be replaced)? I mean, 60Amp is getting the job done today. By all means, put in a 200A panel (as it sounds like this one needs to go, and badly).

My house has a 200A new panel (well it's probably 15 years old, came with the house), all new interior wiring, and still retains 60A service. I've thought a time or two of upgrading, but why? Everything runs just fine, as-is.

Finally, is this panel outdoors? I've never seen that. Only at campgrounds have I seen something like that.

200 is probably overkill. You'd be hard pressed to find a 60 amp panel these days so a 100 amp panel would probably be fine. It is rather strange why it's outside exposed to the elements. Usually you find them inside. I wonder if it's all rusted out inside.

My grandparents old house in Las Vegas had the panel outside, and thinking about it, I remember having the same trouble with the hot sun cause rogue tripping. My Grandma cut one of those windshield sunshields, the silver ones, to size, and duct taped it to the cover so it would have some insulation.

Pretty common in the south and west to have the panel outdoors. My panel on my 10 year old house in Texas is outdoors. I put a little combo lock on it. Mine has a metal weatherproof cover that goes over it though.

Lots of houses in Nevada and California are the same way.

My old house in NY had the meter and the panel in the basement. A reader would physically come to my house to read the meter. Everything here is smart meter.

Interesting. My meter is outside (smart one now though) and panel inside. Would never have thought about having a panel outside, but then again, resetting a breaker in winter is probably a bit different up here than down there.

I forget, is it free for the power company to upgrade the service drop?......

Unless you're some crazy distance from the road, the drop right up to your weatherhead is free. With the looks of the OPs, situation, he needs everything from weatherhead to panel. 100A would probably suffice like said above. Bigger is better though IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back