How to cut power to breaker box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
It sounds like you have a 60 amp service. You really need to upgrade to a 200 amp service, the modern standard. This will require a new meter base...

Exactly. It's an old, undersized service with an integrated meter channel. I've never seen anything residential like that where I'm from.

Like said, the meter has to be pulled, I'm sure a new service entrance, new meter channel, new panel. Probably talking thousands to have a company do this for you.

I forget, is it free for the power company to upgrade the service drop?......

Unless you're some crazy distance from the road, the drop right up to your weatherhead is free. With the looks of the OPs, situation, he needs everything from weatherhead to panel. 100A would probably suffice like said above. Bigger is better though IMO.

Bigger is better, but if you're not going to use it, it's a waste for the more expensive panel.

Zinsco had a major problem of burning the busbar out of the panel. If you choose to replace just the breaker make sure their are no burn marks where the breaker connects to the busbar.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
BTW Where is the weather cover for the box?

Here you go ARCO. I took this picture just for you.
grin2.gif

DSCN2471_zpslhw1aa9f.jpg

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Zinsco had a major problem of burning the busbar out of the panel. If you choose to replace just the breaker make sure their are no burn marks where the breaker connects to the busbar.
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back