Transfer case fluid?

Has anybody here used this (or had to use this) in their transfer case? If so, any difference notice between this vs. regular transmission fluid or gear/diff oil?

Well, that's why I asked if any had to use it...I'm curious myself. Other than weight (and GL rating), none of my current vehicle specify a specific type of fluid in the transfer case. The closest would be a CR-V ('06) that required dual pump fluid in the rear diff...

I believe transfer cases to be forgiving re fluid.
Saying that, when I looked into changing my Ford's TC fluid I remember seeing the XL-12 designation separated from others.
Notice came out that all Ford TC went to an LV fluid. I used MaxLife Dex/Merc LV in mine.
I never did learn the reason for the XL-12 or what vehicles it went into. It simply could've been Ford's first synthetic TC fluid.
However, it looks to be backwards compatible with many fluids and likely nothing special as it claims it's suitable for GM, Ford and many Chryslers.

Just a general Q or do you have vehicles in mind?

...any difference notice between this vs. regular transmission fluid or gear/diff oil?

Yes there is a huge difference between that Valvoline product and gear oil. That valvoline product is ATF-ish and can only be used for the applications stated on the bottle. Other transfer cases, such as the one in my Pathfinder and most FWD based 4x4's for that matter use gear oil.

Well, that's why I asked if any had to use it...I'm curious myself. Other than weight (and GL rating), none of my current vehicle specify a specific type of fluid in the transfer case. The closest would be a CR-V ('06) that required dual pump fluid in the rear diff...
Well, any FWD based AWD system will not have a real transfer case, they just take standard gear oil usually, like your CR-V does.

My Mitsubishi and Suzuki vehicles spec 75W-90 gear lube for transfer cases. I used this;

images

This is a fairly low viscosity TC fluid. Close to specified ultra thin Tacoma TC juice. I run MTF in mine. Works great. Way back machine says this TC originally used 80W-90 range gear oil.

I'm not a fan of these Multi Vehicle fluids. My SUV required GM Auto Trak II and I was warned to only use that.

I believe transfer cases to be forgiving re fluid.
Saying that, when I looked into changing my Ford's TC fluid I remember seeing the XL-12 designation separated from others.
Notice came out that all Ford TC went to an LV fluid. I used MaxLife Dex/Merc LV in mine.
I never did learn the reason for the XL-12 or what vehicles it went into. It simply could've been Ford's first synthetic TC fluid.
However, it looks to be backwards compatible with many fluids and likely nothing special as it claims it's suitable for GM, Ford and many Chryslers.

Just a general Q or do you have vehicles in mind?
Just a general Q. I came across this by accident on RockAuto...was just browsing parts for my '08 Sorento...saw a listing for 'Transfer Case Fluid'...clicked on it and saw that.

Owner's manual calls for Dex III type fluid, if I remember right....I used Maxlife last time I changed it.

Closer to MaxLife than ATF-4 … Will stick with Jeep on this (ATF-4) …

D5A51E48-B237-4F9D-B51D-3B26CA1A5CB5.png
6E16506C-2990-408D-AF6D-33ECE82D45B1.png
D1F84B98-B5CD-48FA-9182-784062EBADEA.png

Last edited:
@swampdodo Has anybody here used this (or had to use this) in their transfer case? If so, any difference notice[d] between this vs. regular transmission fluid or gear/diff oil?

Earlier Toyota Transfer Cases used a 75W90 GL-5 gear lube. Later transfer cases may be using a lower viscosity TC fluid.

The TCF in my 2012 Frontier 4X4 uses a 7.5 cSt ATF fluid similar to Dexron III or NissanMatic D.

The TCF in my 2015 PathFinder uses a 75W90 GL-5 gear lube.

Have your OEM fluid analyzed (VOA) before making a choice as to replacement fluids.

FWIW: Analysis for Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid:

Metal Inhibitor - 1ppm
Boron - 290ppm AW and FM
Silicon - 3, Anti-Foam
Sodium - 5ppm, Rust Inhibitor
Calcium - 300ppm, Detergent and FM
Magnesium, 1ppm, Dispersant
Phosphorus, 650ppm, EP
Zinc, 7ppm, Oxidation Inhibitor
Phenol+Amine Oxidation Inhibitor, 50ppm
Viscosity@100C - 6.05 cSt
Flashpoint, 410F
Brookfield Vis - 9,800
VII - polymethylacrylate

Last edited:
The story I heard on XL-12 was that it was just plain old Mercon. There was apparently something in Mercon V that dissolved the glue that held the friction materials on.

Back