2013 Cadillac XTS transfer case / diff fluid help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any information on what fluids can be used in the AWD transfer case and rear differential?

The manual specs ACDelco 19256084 for transfer case fluid, no spec on rear diff. I use Petro-Canada fluids for engine oil and transmission, and would like to stick with them for the transfer case if possible. Can I use TRAXON Synthetic 75W-90 with a 4 oz bottle of GM 88900330 LSD additive? Would the same fluid and additive be used for the differential?

Transfer case shows me 19351882, and for diff 88863449, which seems to be extremely expensive, lists at 88$ a quart. With or without limited slip shows me the same number, so the additive may work in either case. I would however try to stick with Delco in the rear, my catalog stocks hundreds of different gear/diff oils, and these were the only recommended choices shown.

Does the rear diff have a clutch-type LSD? If not, I can't imagine it needs anything special. The transfer case, though, I would stick with OEM.

I'm not sure what type of rear diff this car has. It's the Premium trim with 3.6 L non-turbo V6. I think it is a Haldex system, but that's as much info as I've been able to gather.

I can't find anywhere selling 88863449 rear diff fluid or even a reference to this part number.

Haldex is just an electronic clutch pack that sits between the transmission and rear differential (it's dry, not lubricated by gear oil). I would be very surprised if the rear diff is anything but a standard open design.

Look into what sort of differential it is. If it's not a clutch type, it's probably just 75W-85 or 75W-90 GL-5 oil in there.

Edit: perhaps it's. GL-4 75W-90?
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4630859/Had_to_service_a_Cadillac_SRX_

And the Haldex unit may have oil in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Haldex is just an electronic clutch pack that sits between the transmission and rear differential (it's dry, not lubricated by gear oil). I would be very surprised if the rear diff is anything but a standard open design.

Look into what sort of differential it is. If it's not a clutch type, it's probably just 75W-85 or 75W-90 GL-5 oil in there.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4630859/Had_to_service_a_Cadillac_SRX_

The Haldex unit does indeed take lubricant.

For the AWD system there are a total of three holes that need fluid. 1. Rear diff. 2. The Haldex unit. 3. The transfer case.
We have a Buick Regal with this AWD system. After doing this a couple of times this is what I've learned : For fluids go to Ebay you can typically find stuff for half off. 1. In the rear differential I've used the synthetic chevron 75w-90 at AutoZone for about eight bucks a quart. Then I purchased the GM factory Limited slip additive and blend it at the proper ratio. 2. For the Haldex unit stick with the factory GM recommended fluid. Unfortunately there is no drain plug but I've had success just pumping out what I could through the fill plug and then adding in the same amount I took out. It wasn't much maybe 8 ounces maximum. 3. Don't forget the transfer case also known as the PTU, that unit does have a drain and fill plug, again use the factory recommended GM fluid.

Good info. Our Mini has the same AWD system, but the Haldex (I think it may be a different brand) is dry and the transfer case and rear diff have no drain plug
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Ammofirst
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

The Haldex unit does indeed take lubricant.

For the AWD system there are a total of three holes that need fluid. 1. Rear diff. 2. The Haldex unit. 3. The transfer case.
We have a Buick Regal with this AWD system. After doing this a couple of times this is what I've learned : For fluids go to Ebay you can typically find stuff for half off. 1. In the rear differential I've used the synthetic chevron 75w-90 at AutoZone for about eight bucks a quart. Then I purchased the GM factory Limited slip additive and blend it at the proper ratio. 2. For the Haldex unit stick with the factory GM recommended fluid. Unfortunately there is no drain plug but I've had success just pumping out what I could through the fill plug and then adding in the same amount I took out. It wasn't much maybe 8 ounces maximum. 3. Don't forget the transfer case also known as the PTU, that unit does have a drain and fill plug, again use the factory recommended GM fluid.

THANK YOU AMMOFIRST!!! I've got a '14 Regal AWD and finding any information about the fluids this car takes is tough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back