Tranny Question about Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck in signature. Automatic, was coming home from work yesterday & out of nowhere tranny started slipping like crazy going up the final hill to my house. Did not think I would make it home. Does not shift out of first gear but goes into reverse is what I noticed today when I got home from work using my Acura. Any ideas -- truck has 87,992 original miles. Tranny serviced at 64,000 miles with new tranny filter & Mopar ATF4. NEVER had an issue with tranny ever?? Waiting for mechanic friend to get back to me. I know nothing about automatic trannys.

I had a odd shifting occurrence and limped it to shop and was only the filter had collapsed screwing with its ability to shift. Good luck

Basics first- fluid level normal? Burnt-smelling or blackened?

IF not, then more clarification. When you say "won't shift out of first"... does it actually drive forward in first without slipping, and do you mean with the gear selector in "D" or in "1"? If the truck wont move forward in "D" or "2" but WILL move forward in "1," then you probably broke the sprag (overrunning clutch). Putting the selector in "1" rather than "D" adds the low/reverse band in parallel to the sprag, so the truck should drive forward even if the sprag is broken. Reverse doesn't use the sprag, but does also use the low/reverse band

If you mean it "moves forward in drive, but then the engine just races when it tries to shift to 2nd, then its probably a broken front band (which is the element that applies 2nd gear).

If it won't move forward in any forward gear (D, 1, 2) but will back up, then its probably the "forward" clutch (actually the rearmost clutch in the transmission) that has gone out, since that clutch is required for all forward gears.

Since this is a 2000, its got a 4xRE which is an A727 with an overdrive added. The above diagnostics are just for the A727 part, I'm not positive what happens if there's a failure in the O/D unit behind the 727. I'm also not 100% positive what happens if a 4xRE loses its "governor" input from the computer, either because of a bad speed sensor, bad connection, or bad governor pressure solenoid.

At any rate, if you rule out the basics (fluid OK, does it move in 1 but no other forward gears, etc.) then its going to take a full evaluation to figure it out.

440 Magnum -- truck drives forward in D position and wont shift into second. Had a check engine light 2 weeks ago & my buddy plugged in his code reader and it said output speed sensor. Would that stop the tranny from shifting then? He said he was surprised that the speed ometer still functioned. I just left it go because I have mortgage due this week? Fluid level was normal & not burnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
crazyoildude -- this is the first time ever it acted up on me?? Never slipped before and always shifted smoothly through all gears. Came out of nowhere with the slipping. I babied it home and waiting on a phone call. Greatly appreciate all your feedback on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
440 Magnum -- truck drives forward in D position and wont shift into second. Had a check engine light 2 weeks ago & my buddy plugged in his code reader and it said output speed sensor. Would that stop the tranny from shifting then? He said he was surprised that the speed ometer still functioned. I just left it go because I have mortgage due this week? Fluid level was normal & not burnt.
that sounds like your problem,very inexpensive part, even cheaper on ebay or rockauto
these sensors fail on all chrysler-dodge etc..

Dollars to donuts when you drop the pan the filter is loaded with the internals from the TC. All to common as with mine. Usually, these last around 150k miles before failing...

I don't know if your Ram has a cable that runs from the throttle to your trans. but if it does, that may be what is causing this. We have a 93 Ram and the cable was stuck and I thought the trans. was out. Took it to a local shop and stuck cable.

Oiled the cable and linkage at the throttle and trans. and it worked fine after that.

Yes, a bad speed sensor would likely throw it into a "limp" mode where you only get one forward gear (usually its 2nd, so that might be what you're actually interpreting as 1st). Is it possible that it actually wasn't "slipping" and was in fact just running in 2nd gear all the time?

That would be my bet, and its a cheap/easy thing to try before digging deeper.

440 Magnum, test drove the truck today after work & I do believe it is pulling out & staying in second gear? What would you replace before taking it to a transmission shop personally? Would you replace the output speed sensor first & then go from there? Really has me frustrated to no end!!!
smirk.gif

I unplugged the speed sensor on my old 2000 Ram Van as a part of diagnosing a non-functioning speedometer. Man, that thing went crazy.

I totally believe speed sensor could be the total culprit.

I agree, check out the speed sensor first.
Side note, were the bands adjusted when the trans was serviced? Virtually nobody remembers to do that anymore.

440 Magnum, test drove the truck today after work & I do believe it is pulling out & staying in second gear? What would you replace before taking it to a transmission shop personally? Would you replace the output speed sensor first & then go from there? Really has me frustrated to no end!!!
smirk.gif

IIRC some transmissions will do what you're describing when they're in limp mode. I think your problem is with the speed sensor as already mentioned. I'd change it and clear the codes or disconnect the negative battery terminal and step on the brake pedal. See what happens.

smirk.gif

Does your transmission have a cable that runs from the throttle to the drivers side of the transmission?

If so, this may be causing your issue. The cable controls the shift and if it sticks, it wont change gears. It will work in reverse but wont shift out of 1st or 2nd depending on where the cable sticks.

We had a very similar thing happen and it was the cable. It was driving fine and then it wasn't. Oiled the cable and the linkage at the trans. and fixed it.

Yes, since you already had a code about the output speed sensor, I'd start there. As other said, after you do that be sure to either clear the codes with an OBD scanner, or else pull the negative battery cable for ~10 mins.

-S

Last edited:
If the PCM is not getting a OSS signal, It will just stay it 1st gear.

If the Governor Pressure Solenoid and/or Governor Pressure Transducer fails, The unit will default to 3rd gear (Max Governor Pressure).

The TV Cable only controls Line Pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back