Trailer wheel bearing grease

If your wheel bearings are bathed in copious amounts of the cheapest or worst grease could they fail? I always thought it was the lack of, or old dried grease that caused a failure.

If your wheel bearings are bathed in copious amounts of the cheapest or worst grease could they fail? I always thought it was the lack of, or old dried grease that caused a failure.
Lucas R&T, Mystik JT6, or pick your flavor for standard wheel bearings, any reputable aluminum base for water submersion applications, and avoid moly for wheel bearings.

Mystik JT6 HT is easily the best grease you can get commercially off the shelf.

Lucas red’n’tacky is an extremely cheap grease, sold at an extortion level premium.

I used JT6 on boat trailers for years - changed hubs a few years back and they were pre packed with RnT … it’s done just fine … Niether had separated like M1 … and I normally like Mobil/ Delvac products

Lucas R&T, Mystik JT6, or pick your flavor for standard wheel bearings, any reputable aluminum base for water submersion applications, and avoid moly for wheel bearings.
My two bike Kenda motorcycle trailer has been running SuperTech moly for 12 years…many summer 800 mile days so far. All good still.

The Lucas grease meets pretty good specs. Imo one of the few things that's good from that company.

For the price vs JT6… no comparison.

And I have a good relationship with Lucas, and the OEM for their grease. And I still use JT6.

I don't see a great standing reason to not pick a Calcium Sulfonate grease GC-LB rated. Lucas Marine or Traveller Marine. Only exception would be if you are in super cold temps with it

Otherwise, X-tra HD

Back