Trailer tires: known brand or higher load rating?

Given relatively equal cost which would you prefer, a C rated tire from a known brand (Hankook) or a D rated tire from some company you’ve never heard of? The trailer in question is a boat trailer and the tires it came with were C rated. I like the idea of two extra plies and higher capacity, but I think I like the idea of a tire from a company with at least some degree of name recognition even more. Am I wrong?

Given relatively equal cost which would you prefer, a C rated tire from a known brand (Hankook) or a D rated tire from some company you’ve never heard of? The trailer in question is a boat trailer and the tires it came with were C rated. I like the idea of two extra plies and higher capacity, but I think I like the idea of a tire from a company with at least some degree of name recognition even more. Am I wrong?
Take it to Discount tire . They can sell, mount, and most important, Balance the wheel tire combination. Probably Carlisle brand. Change 'em out every 5-6 years. Hope this helps

Given relatively equal cost, I'd rather have a real known name brand in trailer tires, such as Carlisle.

Trailer tires are just not to be messed around with. Unless you like changing a tire on the way to the lake... and then swapping out a mangled trailer fender the next weekend.

Name brand.... but my miserly self would probably just buy the cheapest rubber I could fit on the rims if it was only being towed a couple of miles once or twice a year. If you are taking it on the highway then definetly go with the Hankooks or Carlisles.

I can tell you I have a set of Carlisle Radial Trail HD son my Travel Trailer and Boat Trailer. They are speed rated to 81 MPH.
The tires on the trailer are on season 4 and have about 15,000 miles on them. They have been the best set of tires I have had on that trailer.
Both trailers have the load range D version. I had a set of Goodyears that I did not like near as much. Carlisle has come a LONG way in the last 10 years.

You have to make sure your rims are rated for the higher inflation. It should be stamped on the inside. I just bought 4 Greenball ST tires. 205/75/14 Load range D (63.00ea) to replace the OEM Castle Rock tires that should have blown up the minute I hit the Interstate according to the RV boards. They have 10,000 miles on them-and it's just time.

In full disclosure-my travel trailer is probably not as heavy as your boat at 5,000 pounds .However it does see many, many highway miles.

Last edited:
You have to make sure your rims are rated for the higher inflation. It should be stamped on the inside. I just bought 4 Greenball ST tires. 205/75/14 Load range D (63.00ea) to replace the OEM Castle Rock tires that should have blown up the minute I hit the Interstate according to the RV boards. They have 10,000 miles on them-and it's just time.

In full disclosure-my travel trailer is probably not as heavy as your boat at 5,000 pounds .However it does see many, many highway miles.
My boat is a 16 foot aluminum hull. I think boat+trailer might weigh 1500 pounds fully loaded.

Given relatively equal cost, I'd rather have a real known name brand in trailer tires, such as Carlisle.

Trailer tires are just not to be messed around with. Unless you like changing a tire on the way to the lake... and then swapping out a mangled trailer fender the next weekend.
I have unfortunately had both experiences in the five years I’ve owned this boat. One tire just disintegrated spontaneously requiring a new fender and some welding to fix the mounting point that almost sheared completely off. The tire I bought to replace it decided to break a cord or something internally and began shaking violently while driving thru Atlanta on I-75 during rush hour. it was odd because the tire was still fully inflated but the boat was shaking like crazy at even low speeds.

I‘m tired of relatively new and fully inflated tires going bad.

I currently have three trailers and tow cross country regularly. Even a new Carlisle tire (less than 30 days old and under 500 miles) blew and took out a RAM windshield, which luckily didn't injure anyone but did cost me $500 to the driver of the RAM for a new windshield.

I am only buying D rated Goodyear trailer tires for my three trailers which require C rated tires. Trailer tires across the spectrum are poorly made, and a blowout can cause death, injury, and a lot of time and money. Reviews clearly sugget Goodyear is the only trailer tire on the market today that is manufactured to a standard that can provide the operator confidence.

I currently have three trailers and tow cross country regularly. Even a new Carlisle tire (less than 30 days old and under 500 miles) blew and took out a RAM windshield, which luckily didn't injure anyone but did cost me $500 to the driver of the RAM for a new windshield.

I am only buying D rated Goodyear trailer tires for my three trailers which require C rated tires. Trailer tires across the spectrum are poorly made, and a blowout can cause death, injury, and a lot of time and money. Reviews clearly sugget Goodyear is the only trailer tire on the market today that is manufactured to a standard that can provide the operator confidence.
I don’t think Goodyear makes 13” trailer tires. I would need new wheels.

Reactions: GON
My 2 cents:

ST tires are going through a transition. Goodyear showed it was possible to make an ST that performs at the level of P type and LT type tires. Others brands seem to be following suit.

- BUT -

I am sure there are brands that haven't followed.

So I think a name brand would be better than a higher load rating in an off brand. Just be sure about the speed rating. That I think is the clue to quality.

I have Carlisle's on my TT. I put them on a year ago and so far so good. It is what my tire shop recommended and they were a good price.

Just my $0.02

What size tire/rim? Might be a good time to upsize since rims could be rusty too. Load range D if available.

I've watched many other brand tires wear rapidly or blow out. Keep a spare and tools needed to swap. Too many junk trailer/camper tires out there.

I'd get radials in a known brand with a decent speed rating.

Had several boat tire failures.. the scary one is where it separated internally and half the tread pushed out another 1" or so.

but rather than ask your question a better question would be

"I need trailer tire in size xxx what should I get"

I have a 3000 lb boat/trailer combo running on 13" bias-plys. I've been using Kenda Loadstar tires (which is what the trailer originally came with from the factory) with no issues in all the years other than me running over some road debris one time. Keep them inflated, and I run a rotation of 3 tires - the two newest are installed,, and the oldest is the spare... Swap one of them out every three years. Granted I am in Minnesota, and the trailer is indoor stored most of the time when not in use. Instead of the higher load rating (which would have taken rims that could take a higher tire pressure) I went for a higher speed rating (the ones I use are rated at 81 mph - and I keep my tow speed at 70 or less).

Check out Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. They're made in the USA.

I upgraded our travel trailer tires to these w/ load D rating. I recommend them to anyone with cargo/boat trailers, travel trailers, etc.

I recommend staying away from unknown brand of tires and ones made in China.

Reactions: GON
I don’t think Goodyear makes 13” trailer tires. I would need new wheels.
@Elkins45 , what is weight of loaded trailer w/ boat and how far out do you drive to take the boat out?

Upgrading to 14" wheels might be a pita regarding up front investment, but if you plan on keeping boat for awhile, it might be worth while.

Consider keeping an eye on FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc for a good set of used 14" wheels.

Many people buy new travel trailers/boat trailers and upgrade to new fancy aluminum wheels, and they will sell their original steel or basic aluminum wheels. More than likely if you can source some, there would be a good chance they have little or no mileage on them.

Local boat or tire shops may even have a sets of 14 inch "take-offs" from a new trailer their customer upgraded. You might can score some for 1/2 of normal new price.

Even a cheap set of used steel 14" wheels can be cleaned up and a couple of coats of Rustoleum will make them look new again.

Just my 2 cents..

Back