Trailer tires and age

Status
Not open for further replies.
My small boat trailer (Waverunner) has Kenda Loadmaster tires. The tires are in great shape, typical wear, no sidewall cracking etc. I am really surprised on how good they appear, and I only need to add a small bit of air once a year, maybe 5 psi in the springtime. But I checked the date codes and it appears they are from 2003, making them 15 years old. I am thinking of getting one spare wheel and tire just in case, but I am reluctant to replace both of them at this point.
Thoughts ?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about them. But then I never replace a tire (s) just because of age, if it still looks good. I have had more almost new tires go bad for me than very old ones.

I've used those same tires - Kenda Loadmaster K550's on our boat trailer with good success. No unexpected issues other than a cut sidewall when I ran over some unavoidable debris on the road. Their source changed from Taiwan to China at some point, but again, no issues.

I've gone to a rotation, and I'll allow my oldest tire to be up to 9 years old. It is always the spare - I put my newest tire on, and take the oldest one and move it to the spare location. The spare gets replaced to become the new tire in the rotation.

I don't know how much towing you do, but at 15 years old, they've served their purpose. And traveling without a spare, I'd say lucky too...

Various outlets will give different opinions on tire time replacements. I think it all comes back to the usage and storage of the tire, as well as the climate. I'm not in Arizona, I don't store the tires outside in the sun for the year, and I don't put on more than 500 miles or so a year. YMMV...

If you want the same tires, they are available at decent prices from an e-retailer for trailers and leave it at that. PM me if you need the actual name from there...

I change my travel trailer tires (2 axles) at three to four years. At the first sign of drywall cracking. Consequently-after literally thousands of miles of towing I have NEVER HAD A FAILURE.

Last edited:
Every start to the boating season I see cars on the side of the freeway with a trailer tire blowout. A neighbor once reported he had both trailer tires blow out on his short trip up north.

What size are they? It would probably be less than $100 for new tires. $100 to me is worth just for the peace of mind of not having to deal with a blowout.

Last year I replaced the 10 year old spare on my Jeep. At 10 years I'll replace it again. I'd rather not be hundreds of miles away from home and be stranded.

1.) Kenda makes great tires. 2.) The 7 year thing is for light vehicle tires (cars and light trucks). It has to do with ozone cracking and cord failure through weathering via the cracking. 3.) Trailer tires are made with more UV and Ozone resistant "rubber" because they are expected to sit for years, do not have front axle drive or braking loads, etc.

4.) ALL Trailers need a spare. How often have you seen a boat trailer along side the road where someone had to pull a wheel and go into town to get a replacement tire on a Sunday ... Good luck?? It has nothing to do with age, just being smart and prepared
smile.gif

I've had more valve stem failures on trailer tires than actual carcass failures. Tire shops routinely break them down and install a new stem, and remount w/o question. Even really old trailer tires. Of course some will try to up-sell you, but you soon learn to avoid them. Commercial tires get field repairs all the time w/o "replacement" ...

Just use common sense. If you see cracking, it's time. If not, you are good to go
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have never had a trailer tire blowout, personally.

I have had them go flat - sometime even quite suddenly - but I have never had a trailer tire just go boom.

I have. Actually, it didn't blow out-in fact, when I stopped, it still held 65psi. It just came apart-the tread peeled.

I just got new tires on my tow dolly, replacing some from 1993. thread

The ST175/80R13 was only $26 and change from walmart! They seem quality enough.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I just got new tires on my tow dolly, replacing some from 1993. thread

The ST175/80R13 was only $26 and change from walmart! They seem quality enough.

Ha, those are some ***** tires. Mine look far better. I am def getting a spare, but I might hold off replacing both tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back