Traded price of natural gas drops

The traded price of natural gas dropped below $1.95, the first time since 2020.

C222BE2F-ABF7-4A76-BD29-44B2CF078E4D.jpg

Natural gas prices are lower than when I started in the business 43 years ago. We forget what deregulation and technology have done for us. Other than computers not much is cheaper than it was 43 years ago.

Good! My home natural gas choice agreement period starts April 1. Hope it heads even lower! My last 2 year agreement is $113 all in with unlimited use. I don't remember what the price was 2 years ago in April but I hope to be paying less. One choice is the pass-on rate which is great when prices are low but can become nasty with large price jumps.

When the USA started exporting liquefied natural gas, I thought prices would increase. But they have not.

Remember, this is the "Henry Hub" price, not the "City Gate" price where it is delivered to your natural gas distributor. If the Henry Hub gas cannot get to you due to pipeline constraints, that is a problem.

Lower natural gas prices should also reduce marginal electric power pool prices where fossil fuel is still used to generate electricity.

But don't expect the price of Pennzoil Platinum to drop.

Back