Natural Gas to Gasoline Conversion

Looks the another natural gas to gasoline plant is being built. The first one was completed in Turkmenistan in 2019, where they produced 15,500 bbls a day of gasoline derived from natural gas. Small change compared to any North American refinery, but with the economics present in land locked Turkmenistan, it worked. Another plant is now under construction. Notice that they went through all that effort to produce gasoline when they could have run the gas through a gas turbine generator and created an electric car infrastructure. Maybe this is one place where the locals really can’t afford $40,000 Ev’s.

72FCD773-5E66-41C0-A3AF-E584A687C2D9.jpg
17A566D9-D782-4241-825A-DD2C2F29AF21.jpg

Don't see the point when you can run cars on natural gas directly.
Good question and I had to dig out an answer. See how close they are to Iran, with Tehran being very close to their border? There is a shortage of gasoline in Iran, with black market prices of over $8 US per gallon. My guess is a lot of it will make its way there, one way or another.

Also, I’m trying not get political on the Iran issue. I was more interested in the technology and had no idea any of this had anything to do with Iran. Hope that answers the question.

And yes, CNG is super popular in a lot of countries including that other Stan country, Pakistan.

Last edited:
Nothing political, just that it takes energy to convert natural gas to gasoline just as takes energy to convert it to hydrogen fuel that goes for the equivalent of $15 a gallon in California. On the other hand, the last time I was in Oklahoma 4 years ago, you could fill up your car with 69 cent a gallon CNG.

Back