TRade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading my '02 Avalon for a '12 Avalon Limited.
Lots of toys. They want to change my oil for free @5k,10k,15,and 20k.
I'm considering using my own 5w30 syn after their gratuities.

Anyone see a problem with that regimen? Benefits? Things to look for in the new vehicle other than an expected cheap battery ?

No, cost of oil change and other maintenance for 2 years is includes in the car price.

I would let dealer do 5k/6mo oil changes then do your own oil change with M1 5W30 at 5k/6mo OCI during warranty periord of 3 years/36k miles, then extend OCI to 8-10k miles after that with M1 AFE 0W30.

As soon as you show up for the 5k oil change they will tell you that Toyota now recommends 10k oil changes and stiff you for two of them. That is what happened on our Sienna even though we had a coupon book with the oil change tickets. We were also doing "severe" service since many short trips, so their service was insufficient.
I ended up changing oil on the 5k intervals and letting them change oil and filter on the 10s up to 30k. We are now on a 7.5k regimen based on the mix of driving we are doing.

They seem to be pretty intent on 0W20 for the newer Toyotas. I use xW20 for the Sienna but feel better with the 5W30 for the Tacoma since that is what is spec'd everywhere but the US and I am planning on keeping it forever.

It is possible, and at some stealerships almost a certainty that if you bring your own synthetic oil (especially a better grade synthetic oil) it probably won't get into your car, but in some employee's car instead. If you can't see what they are doing you likely won't see the switch either.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
No, cost of oil change and other maintenance for 2 years is includes in the car price.

I would let dealer do 5k/6mo oil changes then do your own oil change with M1 5W30 at 5k/6mo OCI during warranty periord of 3 years/36k miles, then extend OCI to 8-10k miles after that with M1 AFE 0W30.

That really looks like a sensible plan.
Are you guys all good with letting the factory fill go to 5k?

I found this out when I bought my wife's corolla this year. 10K OCI's is a joke given Toyota Care.

What oil and weight does the dealer use by the way, synthetic as recommended or dino?

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I found this out when I bought my wife's corolla this year. 10K OCI's is a joke given Toyota Care.

What oil and weight does the dealer use by the way, synthetic as recommended or dino?

The 10k drains on 0w-20 synthetic are just fine.

47k+ on the Prius on 0w-20, last 27k of which on the extended drain.

On the Avalon, I thought the oil changes were 10k on 0w-20, with the 5k visits being a rotate/inspection only.

Salesman kept talking 10k and pure syn.
Service department laughed and said, "5k with conventional, same as the owner's manual." The owners manual indeed stated 5k and 5w30 intervals. I haven't seen the oil filler cap yet.
Service department did say I could bring my preferred oil in for service, though, if it did meet the specs.

The build date on this car is 10/11/12, so I got one of the last ones made. That would make me feel comfortable about following the 5k regimen with 5w30. They must know something about the engine's history to prevent them from jumping on that 0w20 mantraa. Maybe a Group III syn would be the way to go.
I bought a 5yr/100k mi warranty so I'm going to be on that 5k regimen for a long time.

Factory fill- 5k or dump at 2k?

I figured they wouldnt do full syn for free...I think im going to keep a 5K OCI with full syn, my dealer here is pretty useless anyways.

My last visit there, he spent time telling me how they will change the air filter when its dirty, and that it can easily go 20K on 1 filter, then he later on tells a paying customer that 10K is the max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back