TRADE your gas car for EV ?

i have several objections to electric vehicles, many of them already better explained by previous posters, but allow me to recap:
1. viability based on taxpayer (i.e. ice driver) subsidy.
2. limited range.
3. limited recharge facilities.
4. maker kill switches, e.g. tesla.
5. feeds man-made climate crisis lie.
6. rape of the environment and indigenous peoples by lithium miners.
7. virtue signaling.
8. 6+7=utter hypocrisy.

however if i can have a mini nuclear fusion reactor under the hood, maybe…

i have several objections to electric vehicles, many of them already better explained by previous posters, but allow me to recap:
/URL]
Let's take a special look at this one. How much exactly is the federal highway budget?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

A lot of driving period is based on taxpayer subsidy whether it's gas or electric. How about we make it all self supporting? Euro style gas prices, anyone?

Yes.

I considered it and bought an ICE car because I couldn’t afford the electric car. My 22 mile per day commute would be perfect for one. We would always have the minivan for trips. Also, I can take my old Jeep out when needed.

To answer the OP:

Yes, I considered it, and even did it, buying an Audi e-tron at one point, but my wife hated it (whole saga is on here) and so it was traded back in on a Grand Cherokee.

Since then, I considered the Tesla Model Y, but couldn't get over the interior and materials, and the BMW i4 M50. I'd have probably bought the demo if it was for sale, I was extremely impressed with the car.

I'm now in a holding pattern to see what BMW does going forward. They are my favourite at the moment and likely where I'll put my money when the time comes.
You wouldn’t like a Model Y. Too small and not near as nice of an interior as a WK2.

A Grand Cherokee 4Xe would be interesting. I’ve seen multiple around here. But not sure the benefits are worth it.

2. limited range.
7. virtue signaling.
8. 6+7=utter hypocrisy.

1) We subsidise the oil industry at 11m usd per minute. No free lunch.
2)I have not had issues with it, and chargers are on the rise exponentially.
3)see 2.
4)Gas vehicles already have them so that's rather moot.
5)So did m855a1 ammo...but it got funded. Politics is all lies. Wonder where Big Oil's "weapons of mass destruction" are...
6)I don't care. People are locusts. Im not going to pretend to be a vegan vampire. I accept my place in the food chain.
7)See 6.
8)Not for me. I prefer the power and economics of an EV and I don't care about strip mined lithium or lying politicians, as long as I get what I want. Im just like everyone else there, except I'm comfortable enough to tell you.

1) We subsidise the oil industry at 11m usd per minute. No free lunch.
2)I have not had issues with it, and chargers are on the rise exponentially.
3)see 2.
4)Gas vehicles already have them so that's rather moot.
5)So did m855a1 ammo...but it got funded. Politics is all lies. Wonder where Big Oil's "weapons of mass destruction" are...
6)I don't care. People are locusts. Im not going to pretend to be a vegan vampire. I accept my place in the food chain.
7)See 6.
8)Not for me. I prefer the power and economics of an EV and I don't care about strip mined lithium or lying politicians, as long as I get what I want. Im just like everyone else there, except I'm comfortable enough to tell you.
I detect a hint of sarcasm...

No.

I don't see any lightweight (sub 3,000lbs) affordable (sub $30k) fun EVs coming anytime soon so I'll stick with what I've got.

2. limited range.
7. virtue signaling.
8. 6+7=utter hypocrisy.

ditto.......no

Yes.

I considered it and bought an ICE car because I couldn’t afford the electric car. My 22 mile per day commute would be perfect for one. We would always have the minivan for trips. Also, I can take my old Jeep out when needed.
I can relate to this. I'm a cheap car buyer for personal reasons, which for the last couple go arounds has meant used cars with good value. This is the real rub with electric cars for many folks. Even used ones are expensive. Mass adoption will not happen until the prices come down some more. I drove my parents new ID.4 Pro S for a week recently when they were out of town viewing fall foliage in the NE and I loved it, but I didn't $48K love it.

I paid 10K for my Navigator used 2 years ago before the big Covid runup, but the prices on old Navigators and Expeditions have crashed again unlike many other vehicles that have stayed near their Covid highs. Even the 2015-17 ones with the Ecoboosts, the prices have been crashing, seen many recently under 20K with less than 100K miles. Quite frankly the Ecoboost powered Expeditions are a much nicer drive than the V8 powered ones. I have thought of trading up but if I'm going to stay in an ICE, I'd rather have a truck this time. My wife wanted a 3 row but we have not once put more than 5 people in the vehicle in the time that we've owned it. So for me it's crew cab or bust. I'm currently looking for a gas SuperDuty or Cheby HD, Ram, etc.

If I could get a used Tesla that was 7 or 8 years old for a reasonable price I'd probably bite. It'd be fine for me even if the battery was only 50% of new. It started with over 200 miles of range. I can live with 100 miles of range. We'd keep one ICE vehicle for trips. But every time I see something around a 2015 or so Tesla, they still want 25-30K for it.

The only ones that are cheap are the old Leafs that only started with around 80 miles of range, after 7 or 8 years they literally only have 30 or 40 miles of range, I can't commute on that. I've read about some that only have 25 miles of range after 8 years. Practically useless. May as well just ride my bicycle to work, which I have the ability and gear to do. Ok, so most days I WFH, but anyway. 25 miles range is still unacceptable.

I personally don't have any interest. Two of my brothers have Tesla model Y's, and while I'll admit they're fun they are not at all exciting to me. I'm going to keep running gas and I'm not opposed to hybrid or plug-in hybrid.

I think of course we must acknowledge that there may come a time where electric is the only option. I think that will take some time but that's where the industry, legislators, and agendas are taking us.

I wanna tell you a little secret. People charge in the middle of the night when rates are low. Charging during peak hours is expensive, ya know.
The cars have schedulers...

Charging off peak increases revenues with minimal grid costs... Of course this will not scale forever; if too many EVs are charging off peak.

Last edited:
Maybe the daily commuter, but most likely only if I need a different car anyways like going from a sport compact that's worn out to an EV grocery getter.

Back