Trade my Vette for a Impala

I put my 91 C4 corvette up for trade. 106k miles and basically gone through - everything’s in working order. Still some 30-year-old-car stuff to tinker with, very minor things like the antenna motor, power locks etc.

I’ve been toying the idea of getting a more efficient/practical vehicle to daily drive when I’m not hauling things with my Tacoma. As young as I am my knee injury makes it slightly inconvenient to get in and out of the C4. Not horrible, but not fun either. I still do like the corvette though.

Anyways the closest decent offer I’ve gotten is a 2011 Impala LT 3.5 cloth with 43k “original” miles. Carfax miles line up, auto check shows 45k miles as last reported. Neither have it flagged for odometer rollback. Found a older listing of the car from 2015 with 29k miles which seems right. Only issue is rebuilt title. Shows it was in a front end collision when it was new with 56 miles. The rear bumper and clear coat on the hood is pretty rough. Nothing I couldn’t fix on a Sunday though.

I don’t necessarily care about the R-title so long the miles are original, which it does look alright for the most part.

Is the impala 3.5 a solid motor? My original intention was to trade for another toy(motorcycle) or a commuter like an Accord or Camry. This is about the only car I’ve been offered that’s (clean title) worth about the same as the C4.

what kind of $$$$ are you looking for..
trade I always worry about it being a POS and limited access to look at it.

The 3.5 is an awesome engine. You can always buy another Corvette. The antenna and power locks are something that I would have fixed since things like that bother me if they don't work. I wouldn't worry at all about the rebuilt title so early in the cars life. Without actually seeing both vehicles in person it's hard to say who is getting the best deal. It's usually the dealer that wins. Good luck!

I'd probably prefer cash for the 'vette, but if it has the L98 engine it's a fairly anemic performer by even modern sedan and minivan standards. I've never enjoyed driving these Corvettes, way too low, way too many blind spots, and they rattle your teeth out. The interiors are so cheap and flimsy and every used Corvette I've seen, the interior is trash particularly the driver's seat just falls apart. Hugely cool looking cars though. Much slower than they look, like most cars from that era.

I wouldn't settle on something of that value in trade. I'd only take the Impala, or anything else, if you really want it. But, also, for most of the nation November-March are the worst months to try to sell a Corvette...

what kind of $$$$ are you looking for..
trade I always worry about it being a POS and limited access to look at it.

I’m about 8500 into the vette with purchase, tax and parts. I’d want mid 7k range but I’ll take $6500 if it’s quick and painless. Any less and it’s too much of a loss for the amount of time I’ve had it.

I’m about 8500 into the vette with purchase, tax and parts. I’d want mid 7k range but I’ll take $6500 if it’s quick and painless. Any less and it’s too much of a loss for the amount of time I’ve had it.

I'd hold out for cash or better trade IMO. In my region you can get a really good sedan for about $5k. And a really good SUV or truck for about $10k.

I'd probably prefer cash for the 'vette, but if it has the L98 engine it's a fairly anemic performer by even modern sedan and minivan standards. I've never enjoyed driving these Corvettes, way too low, way too many blind spots, and they rattle your teeth out. The interiors are so cheap and flimsy and every used Corvette I've seen, the interior is trash particularly the driver's seat just falls apart. Hugely cool looking cars though. Much slower than they look, like most cars from that era.

I wouldn't settle on something of that value in trade. I'd only take the Impala, or anything else, if you really want it. But, also, for most of the nation November-March are the worst months to try to sell a Corvette...

Yeah the L98 cars aren’t fast by corvette standards but it gets by decently. Light weight and 380 lb/tq goes alright.

My first C4 was a 94’ LT1 but it was in way worse shape than this L98 car. It didn’t run either lol. No optispark is a big selling point of the L98. But that’s assuming the buyer has delt with opti.

I’d prefer to get a motorcycle since this is just my play vehicle. Do I need a practical car? No. But it certainly wouldn’t hurt right now.

I wouldn't worry at all about the rebuilt title so early in the cars life.
Rebuilt does bother me, but..........., for it to have been totaled with just 56 miles, it must have taken a huge hit. Like $20,000 worth of damage. And you have to wonder why it was only driven 43,000 miles the next 10 years. Because of the wreck?

I’d pass on the Impala. I had a company car 2012 Impala which has 300 hp. It ran great and got 30+ mpg on the highway. I know the times have changed but I sold mine with 80k miles on Craigslist for $7800 or $8000 back in early 2017. It had a clean title and all service records as well as brand new brakes all around. I bought it from the company for $4,000ish right after they did the brake job. I hope that at least gives you an idea of the pricing. Plus that 2012 would probably outrun your generation Vette too. Sell the Vette for cash and keep looking.

Please don't trade a Corvette for that Impala! Those Impalas are total ghettomobiles around here and I bet your Corvette is really nice! I'd be more apt to sell your Corvette to a collector if you're really wanting to get rid of it.

Rebuilt does bother me, but..........., for it to have been totaled with just 56 miles, it must have taken a huge hit. Like $20,000 worth of damage. And you have to wonder why it was only driven 43,000 miles the next 10 years. Because of the wreck?
I bought a few rebuilders with under 2,000 miles. I see lots of newer vehicles with light hail that are totaled out. With such tight body lines and check engine lights it's very difficult to hide damage. If the car is extremely clean, drives great, looks great etc I don't see how the paper title will with SALVAGE or REBUILT will hurt the value much. A car can be a theft recovery and have a salvage title. There are many easy fixes out there that are salvage.

I bought a few rebuilders with under 2,000 miles. I see lots of newer vehicles with light hail that are totaled out. With such tight body lines and check engine lights it's very difficult to hide damage. If the car is extremely clean, drives great, looks great etc I don't see how the paper title will with SALVAGE or REBUILT will hurt the value much. A car can be a theft recovery and have a salvage title. There are many easy fixes out there that are salvage.
OP said it was a front hit. Not hail. Not theft recovery. If it was worth $25K retail, it would have cost the insurance company around $20K to repair. THAT'S a lot of damage.
it was in a front end collision when it was new with 56 miles.

I put my 91 C4 corvette up for trade. 106k miles and basically gone through - everything’s in working order. Still some 30-year-old-car stuff to tinker with, very minor things like the antenna motor, power locks etc.

I’ve been toying the idea of getting a more efficient/practical vehicle to daily drive when I’m not hauling things with my Tacoma. As young as I am my knee injury makes it slightly inconvenient to get in and out of the C4. Not horrible, but not fun either. I still do like the corvette though.

Anyways the closest decent offer I’ve gotten is a 2011 Impala LT 3.5 cloth with 43k “original” miles. Carfax miles line up, auto check shows 45k miles as last reported. Neither have it flagged for odometer rollback. Found a older listing of the car from 2015 with 29k miles which seems right. Only issue is rebuilt title. Shows it was in a front end collision when it was new with 56 miles. The rear bumper and clear coat on the hood is pretty rough. Nothing I couldn’t fix on a Sunday though.

I don’t necessarily care about the R-title so long the miles are original, which it does look alright for the most part.

Is the impala 3.5 a solid motor? My original intention was to trade for another toy(motorcycle) or a commuter like an Accord or Camry. This is about the only car I’ve been offered that’s (clean title) worth about the same as the C4.
I liked that gen Impala and thought they looked good depending on color. Roomy with a big trunk. Friend had an 06 SS. It had 2 trannys replaced under warranty.

I had a 2010 3.5 V6 Impala. Keep in mind its bolted to a dumpster fire of a transmission (4T65E) and the W body cars have some pain points. The 3.5 is fine, I did have an external head gasket leak though. Engine is kind of anemic on the highway. You can rev it up all you want but it doesn't really make more power. Might spin the tires in the rain or on a hill.

Mine was a total lemon. I had a trans cooler line blow, transmission input seal leak causing delayed 1st gear engagement, head gasket, rear defroster wiring melted at the harness, passenger door lock failed, steering rack went bad, blend door actuator on the drivers side failed, and around 60k it developed a vibration no one could figure out. I traded that car as soon as I could. I traded it around 68 - 70k I recall. When I traded it they put a big thing saying it was covered under dealer warranty. Hah, have fun with that transmission. I think they saw a really clean engine bay and exterior and figured it was a creampuff, not a basket case.

My extended warranty paid out so much on that car it was ridiculous, I think it was around 4+ grand. I did the blend door actuator myself because I couldn't wait for the car in the shop. The drivers side one is a total PITA if you have big hands.

I remember the defroster wiring burned up warming it up for work one day, and I stopped at the dealer on the way home. I called my wife and said it's got to go, I hate this car and it hates me. The more I took care of it, the more it just fell apart. GM bankruptcy special I guess.

So far my Cruze has needed brakes and that is just because I'm picky.

Last edited:

Yeah the impala feels abit sketch. The guys story doesn’t line up. Said he got it from the original owner(older gentleman) clean title and it came back rebuilt. Ok I’m not gonna doubt him except the auto check/carfax shows otherwise. 4 reported owners. Although odometer checks out. Car was listed back in 2015 with 29k miles.

Please don't trade a Corvette for that Impala! Those Impalas are total ghettomobiles around here and I bet your Corvette is really nice! I'd be more apt to sell your Corvette to a collector if you're really wanting to get rid of it.

So the guy also has a 07 Lincoln MKZ he’s willing to trade and put money on top. Clean title book plus the cash would equal what id realistically get for the vette in the spring.

Only issue is it’s also a rebuilt title. Pretty good looking car otherwise. I think I’m gonna hold on to the vette for now.

Back