Track Day Oil Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a 2008 GSX-R750 that I use for track days and the street.

I am looking for an oil that I do not have to change after each track day and I can use on the street.

In the past I have been using Amsoil motorcycle oil in the 10W 40 grade and Rotela dino in the 15W-40 grade.

I have been doing a lot of reading of old posts trying to figure out what I should run. After reading all the old posts I am more confused than when I started.

I did read that one of the site guru’s stated that based on his testing and oil analysis the Maxima Maxum4 Extra in 15W-50 is one [censored] of an oil with outstanding base stock and additive packages.

I was think of giving it a try but before I do I wanted to see if some of the other informed people out their had any other recommendations or advice as there are lot’s of very technical and educated folks on this site.

I am not oil bias so I will try whatever.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hmmm why would you not want to change your oil after a track day, have you seen uoas of oils after one track day?

not too good

i would find something cheap you can stock up alot on and just dump it out after every track day or 1000 miles

Originally Posted By: blaze1
Hmmm why would you not want to change your oil after a track day, have you seen uoas of oils after one track day?

not too good

i would find something cheap you can stock up alot on and just dump it out after every track day or 1000 miles

I agree...

motul, maxima, amsoil are all good oils to run. Pricey but good.

If I were running my bike on the street and the track, I would probably run either Rotella 15W40 or the syn 5W40. End of discussion.

Not saying you arent running it hard but I doubt you are out there running Rossi or Spies lap times and just high rpm's like them the whole time. Rotella, chevron delo 400, mobil delvac 1300 super 15W40, Delvac 1 5W40 (if you can find it), Exxon Superflo 20W50 would all be good choices.

Brad Penn 20W50 is dang near a 60Wt, I ran the BP 20W50 in my zx9r (not on the track) 2882 miles and it came back 6.7 on TBN, copper was high but I think my throw out bearing is going. They have a BP 20W50 motorcycle oil as well.

But in the end rotella or another hdeo would seriously be all you need.

Originally Posted By: blaze1

not too good

I also agree

I race a quad off road, but for the sake of argument I figure we are in similar situations...because of the high-strung engines and shared sump with transmission. I admit that I have an irrational desire to run high-dollar sythetic oils in my race engine. I have tried a few different ones to include Maxima 530MX, Red Line Racing 40wt, Royal Purple Racing 41, Torco T4MXR 15w40, Motul semi-syn 15w50, Elf Sport 4 Campione and am currently running Mobil One Racing 4T 10w40. I guess i just like throwing money at the engine cause I've had UOAs done on most of these and they shear at least one grade over a 6 hour race weekend. Honestly the semi-syn oil were the Torco and Motul and they did just as well over the interval as the full syns did. The Elf Sport 4 Campione is a 10w60 and it felt thick, I didn't like the clutch drag, nor the shifting with that one. The Royal Purple Racing 41 had the best clutch feel, the Maxima 530MX was too thin, it allowed more NVH. I guess that if the Mobil One Racing 4T turns in a good UOA I'll continue to use it cause it's easier to get and actually costs less than the semi-syns that I liked. I don't know if I actually answered your question, but perhaps a measure of synthetic impathy will go a little ways to making you feel better.

I have an '01 GSXR 600 that I also use for street and track. I use Rotella synthetic, change it after a track weekend or sometimes after 2 weekends back to back for a total of 4 days on the oil. Then ride on the street with the fresh oil and change again after the next track days. Never did a UOA but nothing has broken yet in over 30k miles.

I never cease to be impressed by (and grateful for) the reliability of this little engine.

Thanks very much for all the help.

Looks like I will have to continue to change the oil after each track day.

Also looks like Rotella gets the majority win.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
Thanks very much for all the help.

Looks like I will have to continue to change the oil after each track day.

Also looks like Rotella gets the majority win.

Good idea IMO
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back