TPMS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
While driving yesterday I heard the beep and saw the TPMS light come on. The car is a 2012 Mazda3. The system notified me of tires with screws in them twice since the car was new. These were punctures that occurred between my twice monthly pressure checks.

I pulled over and checked all four tires and they were fine. The light was still on when I re-started the car, but turned off and stayed off after that. What do you think might have caused that glitch? The car has been in service since June of 2012 and has around 69,000 miles on it. It seems too early for sensor batteries to be wearing out.

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to figure out the cause?

Cold weather? Could have made the pressure drop at first, but rose as the tires warmed... Cold weather can also make the toms battery less powerful.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Cold weather? Could have made the pressure drop at first, but rose as the tires warmed... Cold weather can also make the toms battery less powerful.

Most likely this.

I agree, probably colder temperatures. Check all the tires, including the spare, when they are cold. You'll probably find they are all a little low.

Discount Tire will install new sensors and program them for $60 each out the door fir a 2010 Honda Civic. The dealer wanted over twice that.

Check out Ebay. Many used with 30 day or better warranty from salvage yards. I got a sensor for my Xterra as they are past the service life for $13 with the repack kit delivered. Easy enough to replace as you can break the bead and fish in a different one. I don't know what the relearn is for your vehicle. Nissan one can use a paper clip to flash the system.

Yes, I've experienced this quite a bit. Problem is, with the 'dumb systems' like this, you actually have to get out and measure your tire pressures all the way around. All it takes is ~10% low for one to trigger TPMS light. If a tire is on the low side when hot, it's going to fall into alarm range when cold.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Dunno but I'd also check the spare to.

The spare is a compact and it has no sensor. I used it just a few weeks ago when I had the nail in the tire. I check the pressure at least twice a year so I know that's not it.

Originally Posted By: AIRJAC3
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Most likely this.

MAYBE, but it was not cold (about 60 degrees) and I just checked all four this morning in the garage to make sure. All had 35-35.5 (specified pressure is 36). My system requires a pressure drop of at least 20% before triggering.

I did not ask for information about where to buy replacement parts. I am just asking if anyone else had this happen for a reason other than tire pressure or weak TPMS sensor batteries.

My Camry has done this since about new--blinks at me to tell there is a fault. Useless system, too dumb to tell me what wheel is low (or not operating).

It'll be fine for a half hour, the start blinking fault, then stay on for say an hour. Sometimes less--then it'll go out on its own. And maybe come back on. And maybe only do this once a month, or once a year, or... it does seem to do it when I get to drive it, though.

I just ignore the light now.

Went to TPMSDIRECT.com and typical life expectancy is 5 to seven years. Depends on driving habits as well. So your probably getting a weak one. My Xterra aggravated me for the summer till it went out totally in the winter

Sounds like you have one that works part-time. You'll have to get a new one if the battery isn't replaceable.

I have seen strong RF interference cause this in 2 vehicles i have owned previously. If the light triggered and then went off at the next self check, i would chalk it up to that and not worry.

If the time comes to replace those sensors due to battery issues, a piece of electrical tape over the light on the dash will be my solution. As i check my tires pressure manually often enough any way.

Tend to agree. TPMS is just another one of those nanny state mandated things that I have to pay for that I can live quite well without. Since my first vehicle in 1970, and over 4 million commercial driving miles, I think I understand the concept of checking my tires.

Since it's only done it once and the car isn't even five years old I'll just continue to monitor. If it does it a couple more times I'll have to consider the sensor replacements. But, I think I'll wait until I replace the tires again as it's bound to cost less while Discount has the tires off already.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Tend to agree. TPMS is just another one of those nanny state mandated things that I have to pay for that I can live quite well without. Since my first vehicle in 1970, and over 4 million commercial driving miles, I think I understand the concept of checking my tires.

I'd think truckers would of all drivers be most interested in such systems. Pick up a nail and have a slow leak? Since you guys are often driving for hours on end it may be a good while before a tire check could occur.

I sure like them and can be part of stability systems ...
And OnStar to remind folks air up with the cool down or nail or ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back