TPMS light on after Discount Tire install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 4 new tires installed at my local Discount Tire. The vehicle entered the shop with the TPMS light on due to one tire having a valve steam leak and another tire having a small puncture, which required me to use the full size spare (equipped with TPMS). I need 4 new tires anyways so I didn't bother to fill the tires to the manufacturer's specs. Soon after I dropped the car off, they called me to say that could not remove the 4 TPMS sensors due to rust (7 years and 100k miles in Ohio salty winters) and I needed $240 worth of new sensors installed. I told them to soak them with penetrating oil and call me back in 15 minutes. They did that and were able to get 2 off. They had to grind off the other 2 and I had to purchase 2 new sensors they sell (lifetime warranty). When I picked the vehicle up after the install was completed, the TPMS light was still on and I told the guy behind the counter about it. He said it takes some time of driving for the vehicle to reset itself.

It has been a week and over 200 miles of driving and the light is still on.

Could it be that Discount Tire did something during the install to the new sensors? Or do you think they old ones are the issue? Is there a way I can DIY reset the TPMS light?

Go on line and look up how to calibrate and reset the TPMS on you make and model car.

Like Lotl stated they are all different. My old Nissan rogue select was insane to calibrate.

OTW back to discount tire.

My lease VW doesn't have sensors thankfully.

Originally Posted by LotI
You didn't mention the vehicle. Every manufacturer is different.

2012 Toyota RAV 4

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Yes it does, they've been federally mandated on every car sold since 2008.

Preface by saying, seems like several variables involved. That said, when I've gone to DT and TPMS involved, they have a hand held device at the stores to reset them. I don't think I would have left the store until it was reset, light out. Especially since that is the issue that brought you in in the first place.

So I agree a post above, take it back.

So many tire dealers just don't seem to have a clue on this. TPMS is a waste in my mind my Corolla has gotten along with it for 15 plus years just fine.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

My Accord doesn't.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

There are plenty of vehicles that use an indirect system, so they don't need sensors in the wheels.

Originally Posted by lancerplayer
Originally Posted by LotI
You didn't mention the vehicle. Every manufacturer is different.

2012 Toyota RAV 4

You don't have a reset button in the glove box?

Not wanting to sound mean but why are you posting ? Bring the vehicle back to the store.

Discount Tire is going to blame your old sensors being the cause, and rightfully so. They are a wear item. All four should have been replaced.

Everyone loves electronics until its time to replace them. 7 years is beyond the typical lifespan for the batteries in a lot of sensors. Unless you replaced all 4 I dont think theres much they can do, especially considering their physical condition when removed.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
So many tire dealers just don't seem to have a clue on this. TPMS is a waste in my mind my Corolla has gotten along with it for 15 plus years just fine.

TPMS has saved me from buying at least two tires. If you are on the Interstate-and the light comes on-you can immediately pull over for a visual inspection. Without TPMS, many times on the Interstate by the time you know you have an issue-and pull over the tire is toast.

You obviously must be pretty lucky in avoiding road hazards-because TPMS is vey helpful.

The OP not replacing the other two 7 year old sensors is nonsensical.

Confirm the air pressure in each tire. If the tires are at the recommended pressure and the light is still on, take it back.

Originally Posted by leeharvey418
After seven years, even the two salvaged sensors are living on borrowed time.

+1. For $60 per wheel after 7 years and 100K miles, you needed new sensors. The brand DT uses is decent with a nice warranty. I have them on two of my vehicles where the original sensors lasted 10+ years. DT programmed them in a jiffy, and DT had the best local price for replacing my sensors. An Infiniti dealer wanted $175 for ONE.

More bad news, if your '12 RAV4 is like my wife's '11 Highlander: You undoubtedly have a 5th TPMS sensor in the full-size spare, that also probably warrants replacement.

Better news: Replacement Denso sensors for your car are about $33/ea. at RockAuto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back