Tire installers can't get it right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
be careful using a metal valve stem cover on wheels with stem tpms sensors , they can lead to build up and corrosion. It is advised to use plastic valve stem covers when using Stem location tpms sensors.

I hear you guys that have had trouble with tire dealers and their "work", yes, there are a few "exceptions" to the rule of sloppy and incompetent service, but they are just that....exceptions. Most tires stores, and other chain stores produce poor quality work, and when something does go wrong they almost always try and deny the damage done.

When even you take your car in to one of these places always make sure you can keep an eye on them. It's makes they behave better.

Originally Posted By: bourne
be careful using a metal valve stem cover on wheels with stem tpms sensors , they can lead to build up and corrosion. It is advised to use plastic valve stem covers when using Stem location tpms sensors.

Yep - you're right.

My car has the type of TPMS where there really aren't any TPMS sensors on the valve stems themselves - the 'old' system just measures differences in wheel spin speeds (caused by different PSIs of the tires) which then triggers the TPMS light.

So, in other words, my valve stems are just regular type, so I think I will be ok using the same type of stem caps that were on the car originally....

If the Versa is anything like my G, then a reset of the TPMS (unless you're the dealer) is a bit of a nuisance. Check the pressures first to ensure you're really low. If you need to reset them, let us know. I'm sure the lot of us can find something online.

A lot of the problems with tire shops is the general lack of experience and training of the employees and the low pay. When I worked at Sears there was a prevailing thought of "why bother" with a lot of the employees. The pay was comparatively low to what other places paid. The training they offered was good, however it was all in an ideal environment. The stores were poorly equipped at best, and woefully under-maintained. I had much much better tools in my toolbox than the shop had for new techs. Equipment would break in the shop and we would be told to ghetto rig it or just do without it because they didn't have the budget to fix it.

They paid an hourly rate that was less than minimum wage, and you were supposed to make it up with commission. Also scheduling was horrible. If you were full time you had to be available to the company 24/7. The schedule for the upcoming week was put out on Thursday making it impossible to schedule anything. I distinctly remember asking my manager to not schedule me for a day because i had an appointment, I was told that I had to take a vacation day or go on part time and lose my benefits. That was around the time I put in my 2 week notice to work at the dealer, a much better environment.

The funny thing is that anytime I go to a sears, I'm shocked by the number of employees I see working, and the fact that 99% of the time they're all just standing around talking to each other. It's too bad they couldn't pay the auto techs more, or help pay for better equipment, tools, etc instead.

I've worked retail for some time now and we are always stretched very thin in order to stay flat on payroll, which is why I don't understand how sears can have so many employees on all the time.

Take it back to the tire shop with the following instructions: 1. Remove TPMS warning light bulb from dashboard. 2. Install rubber valve stems.

Problem solved..
coffee2.gif

Quote:

OR my TPMS is faulty on that wheel (it is the old type TPMS that measures wheel spin speed and its differences)

Go to Rock auto and look up a TPMS for your car:

974-001-001.jpg

While at it look at your wheel and see if an old school rubber valve stem is poking out or if it's a firm, fixed stem that implies a TPMS beneath.

I find it kind of funny that the OP doesn't know what the problem is, and yet somehow it's the tire shop's fault.

Don't get me wrong, the circumstantial evuidence suggests that, but until we know what is going on - and by then it will be fixed - we can't be sure if it is the car or the sensor (like a dead battery), or something else. The tire shop could be just a victim of coincidence.

wn1998 - It is good that you are keeping current with this.
You have an advantage, but it is still costing you time and grief.

Hang in there till it's right. And not just for a few weeks. Damage can show up later, or re-occur.

I can't resist saying how much I despise those tire pressure monitoring systems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back