TPMS on winter tires

I put on the winter tires on my 2008 Burb and re-programmed the TPMS sensors on the winter tires. Firstly, you have to be physically away from the summer tires with their own TPMS sensors.

I drove down to the local Kal Tire shop. I parked in between two other trucks, which in hindsite is not good, in case they had their own sensors.

I used the procedure for GM GMT 900 trucks. With the key in the accessory position, (or running position), press both the lock and onlock buttons. The horn sounded twice. I then started to deflate the driver’s side front tire. The horn was supposed to honk after about 10 seconds. I went to 15 seconds and stopped, and after another 5 seconds it honked. The same thing happened on the passenger side front and back tires and then on the driver’s side it was similar except it honked twice like it was supposed to.

I then drove up to the outdoor inflation bay. Kal Tire sends a tech over who confirms your inflation from your door sticker and then inflates it to that amount. Awesome service and they don’t care if you bought the tires from them or not. All good. All four sensors are reporting. Not sure why the honks were delayed, perhaps because my engine was running or because I was parked between the vehicles. This spring I’ll make sure the truck is a distance away from others and the engine is off. PS, the sensors for the winter tires were purchased a few seasons ago on Amazon. ;)

Last edited:
Back