TPMS for 2nd set of wheels / tires?

Short answer is yes. Each TPMS sensor have their own frequency and the ECU is coded to recognize only 4 at a time. There are devices that you can buy and do this on your own whenever you want ( https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/products/quickset-x/). Again, the easiest way is to clone the original TPMS so the ECU will not have to relearn a different set of TPMS when you switch from one set to another.

Last edited:
There are numbers on the sensors and you can see them with the tires off. In this example it's 255E63C-- Toyota uses hexadecimal. Ask your tire shop before work starts. They might also have a machine that can generate a report faster than a tech manually scribbling this stuff down.

s-l1600.jpg

Although , not Toyota, I ordered a 2nd set of TPMS sensors off Amazon and took them in to the tire shop when I bought a set of winter tire on separate rims. They installed and programmed them with no extra charge. After that , I did the reprogramming manually every time I changed out the tires. You just have to be outside the range of the other set of tires, which for me was at the end of my driveway.

Hi

I have a 2021 Toyota RAV4.

I am getting a second set of steel wheels to mount snow tires for the winter.

Do I need to purchase TPMS? What happens if I don't? Will the dash light come on? Just curious what happens to a 2021 RAV4 with the absence of TPMS sensors?

Thanks
My experience on Acura and Honda: It may help you if you use the same tpms thru out the sets.
2008 Accord: 1st set of wheels are original with original tpms. 2nd set of wheels with 2015 Accord wheels + 2010 tpms sensors (from Craigs list). No lights or reset needed when swapping wheels.
2011 MDX: 1st set of wheels are original with original tpms. 2nd set of wheels with 10-15 Pilot wheels + used tpms factory oem 42753-STK-A04 (from Ebay). No lights or reset needed when swapping wheels.
2015 RDX: 1st set of wheels are original with original tpms. 2nd set of wheels with 2010 Accord wheels + used tpms factory oem 42753-TX4-A512 (from Ebay). No lights or reset needed when swapping wheels.

When I bought the Pilot wheels, it came with tpms Smart Sensor. The light came on because it was programmed for a different MDX year. I could've had it programmed for my 11 MDX but I bought a $22 oem set from Ebay instead. I changed the tmps at home myself using scissor jack.

Back