Toyota's new electric oil pump.

Call it what you want, just bc it’s a lease doesn’t mean you run trash oil, don’t change it and not give a fu**. Even though I don’t and will never buy used vehicles, someone like maybe your family member is going to possibly buy this when I turn it in and it was well taken care of. And people like you are the reason I would never buy a used vehicle. We laugh at people like you at the dealership, spend 62,000 dollars on a car and run the cheapest fuel, oil, and tires. While your paying a $1,000.00 car note. I don’t work like that.
Agreed! I often think back to 1992 when I foolishly bought a 1988 M6- at the tim I could have bought a brand new top spec Accord, Camry, or Maxima for similar money. I can but wistfully imagine the exquisite driving experiences I let slip away.

Maybe not. Perhaps you can explain?
it has no starter to break. those e-motors are zero maintenance.
therefore maintenance comparison to standard s&s car is pointless .
The HSD system replaces the geared transmission, alternator, and starter motor with:

• MG1, an AC motor-generator having a permanent magnet rotor,[7] used as a motor when starting the ICE and as a generator (alternator) when charging the high voltage battery
  • MG2, an AC motor-generator, also having a permanent magnet rotor, used as the primary drive motor and as a generator (alternator), which regeneration power is directed to the high voltage battery. MG2 is generally the more powerful of the two motor-generators
  • Power electronics, including three DC-AC inverters and two DC-DC converters
  • Computerized control system and sensors
  • HVB, a high voltage battery sources electrical energy during acceleration and sinks electrical energy during regeneration braking
there are few exceptions, where strong 48v alternator is able to spin standing engine, and/or with proper crank angle just one spark will start engine.
physical starter is just for backup.

Call it what you want, just bc it’s a lease doesn’t mean you run trash oil, don’t change it and not give a fu**. Even though I don’t and will never buy used vehicles, someone like maybe your family member is going to possibly buy this when I turn it in and it was well taken care of. And people like you are the reason I would never buy a used vehicle. We laugh at people like you at the dealership, spend 62,000 dollars on a car and run the cheapest fuel, oil, and tires. While your paying a $1,000.00 car note. I don’t work like that.
You are treating that rental like it's your own. Very commendable, you are one in a thousand. Most people who lease cars do the absolute minimum to keep them going.

You are treating that rental like it's your own. Very commendable, you are one in a thousand. Most people who lease cars do the absolute minimum to keep them going.
I’m OCD. I look at it as someone else has to buy this after it’s turned in and that’s messed up to do just bc it isn’t mine. Someone’s grandma might buy this. Plus when I pay $1,000 a month for this car, I’m not going to cheap out.

there are few exceptions, where strong 48v alternator is able to spin standing engine, and/or with proper crank angle just one spark will start engine.
Thanks so much for the info and links. I learned a few things.

The Honda Integrated Motor Assist system uses a 144V DC motor coupled to a clutch or torque converter(hence why the 1st generation Insight and Civic Hybrid had stick shifts as an option) but still has a 12V starter as an fail-safe. A bit similar to THS, but closer to a ISG system that so happens to provide some more motive assist than GM e-Assist/FCA e-Torque. The JDM versions of the Prius as well as the 1st gen Ford Escape also had a emergency charging button for the HV battery.

Regular start/stop still uses a 12V starter unless it’s a BMW 7er/Mercedes S-Class with lithium batteries and 48V electrical. GM really wanted the 48V system to be a reality - they teamed up with Johnson Controls for the Inspira system used in the e-Assist Malibu/Impala and Silverado. Those used a 48V belt starter-alternator.

True but it's important to remember that manufacturers usually aren't stupid. Everyone seems to assume they are using the same starters in ESS vehicles as they do in vehicles not so equipped. This is not the case, the starters are built more heavy duty to stand up wo the additional workload and heat.

You make a lot of false assumptions. Please go on.

True but it's important to remember that manufacturers usually aren't stupid.
time to put pink glasses down.
they are doing stupid things, just because to fit into ever increasing strict co2 rules.
no carmaker is without faults. and no carmaker has only a happy customers.

Bro, if we’re going to start worrying about electric pumps moving fluids then we’re all going to be very worried people…

Washing machine pump - electric, dish washer pump - electric, AC condensate pump - electric. Well water pump - yep, that’s electric.
It's just that as long as the engine is turning, the oil pump is. With electric, there's the 12v system, wiring, switch, motor parts, etc. More to fail. Vehicle co's seem to either not realize, or not care about that solid fact.

It's just that as long as the engine is turning, the oil pump is. With electric, there's the 12v system, wiring, switch, motor parts, etc. More to fail. Vehicle co's seem to either not realize, or not care about that solid fact.
It’s chain driven so my comments are moot now really. The electric pump theory was debunked.

This thread should probably just be closed out.

Attachments

• B5BDB5DB-BBE7-41FA-9717-6484873788D1.jpeg
    B5BDB5DB-BBE7-41FA-9717-6484873788D1.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 18
We now understand that the pump is electrically modulated rather than electrically driven. However, if it was electrically driven, I'd expect that the system was monitored via the ECM by a pressure sensor, motor speed and amperage, etc. Very unlikely this would be an open loop system with engine durability at stake.

We now understand that the pump is electrically modulated rather than electrically driven. However, if it was electrically driven, I'd expect that the system was monitored via the ECM by a pressure sensor, motor speed and amperage, etc. Very unlikely this would be an open loop system with engine durability at stake.

That might apply even with this mechanically driven pump and that would be a good fail safe mechanism. If the computer detects oil pressure below safe limits it could take action.

Its not the electric pump failing.. its the control computer and relays and circuits. One static bit of voltage at the wrong place and you drive till the engine locks up. Out of warranty.. too sad

Back