Toyotas and battery corrosion

Go with East Penn, and you won't have post corrosion! Johnson Controls (now Clarios) are BORN TO LEAK!!
Except, (referring to Tomioka's post too), I have two Fords with JC batts in them and not a bit of corrosion. No felt washers, no special grease, no sacrificial pennies strapped on. I think the difference is that they are not driven long distances, shorter trips so the battery does not overcharge and outgas much. I know it is a terribly small sample size, but should have been the double whammy if the two generalizations were true without a 3rd variable involved, no?

No corrosion in the 7 years I've had my '00 Camry or 5-1/2 years maintaining my aunt's '16 Avalon.

This is my 3 year old rav4 positive cable. I have never taken it off. Never heard of this as a problem.

With modern smart chargers its usually not corroding due to charge, but usually due to battery leaking or venting. Mine is a Japanese build and Japanese battery. I wonder if the more local builds get leaky batteries?

View attachment 111996
If your RAV4 is the new TNGA variant, it’s using a DIN-sized battery vs. the traditional 24(F)/25//27F/35/51(R) BCI/JIS battery. The DIN batteries seem to be sealed and vented a little better with recessed terminals.

What is it that makes every Toyota have battery corrosion?

Working as a lube tech at a dealership, and working on my dad's 2019 Tacoma at home, working on my aunt's Prius, literally every single Toyota I've ever worked on, the positive terminal always looks like it's made of Miracle-Gro crystals.
Right now there are four Toyotas in my life, and there have been several more in my past. None have had battery terminal corrosion. In fact my current Camry had a battery that was original to the car and was 11 years old when I replaced it and the terminals looked pretty darn good.

It's most likely down to the individual battery/battery group. Some seem to be far more susceptible to gassing around the terminal(s) and corroding connections.

Back