Toyota YZZD3 or Wix 51516?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cardboard disc/star could deteriorate, but other than that it's a decent filter. Just wish I knew more about the media and why they put cardboard in it.

Toy4x4, does your wife know you're putting old roagy oil filters on her washing machine?
06.gif

Originally Posted By: cornfused
Ok here we go Toy4x4runner.

Looks like a bunch of media compressed together?
21.gif

Casselton_Pre_bid_0101.jpg

Casselton_Pre_bid_0081.jpg

And your wife doesn't say anything about oily marks on the washing machine?
crazy2.gif

I remember the time I borrowed the missus' glass pitcher, 'cause it was graduated in oz/ml, to figure out how much oil to put in my Suzuki - phew!!!
me->
09.gif

Oops, RF beat me to it..
grin2.gif

Na, she don't care. those are old machines and garage located. We plan on leaving them with this house when we move in about 1yr. the Drier is from 1984, washer is from early 90s IIRC.

I plan on cutting the D3 Thailand filter open, then the 1516 Wix and making my decision. but I don't think I'll be going through hoops to get the japan 2004 denso. The Toyota or wix are much cheaper and the engine should outlast the truck. and those 2 are easy to buy around town. SO... it's down to the Toyota D3 or Wix 1516.

Last edited:
Toyota has 2 different filters--- one with the gear cog shape and the cheaper filter that is the usual filter design.

you can usually tell by the part number... if it's a simple FO-3 (arbitrarily), it's usually the cheaper filter, vs. the longer part number.

The only place I know of that sells those funky filters is Carson Toyota. They must import them by themselves from Japan since as far as I know you can't get them here from just any old dealer. Scroll down for pictures:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217

$15 each is a bit too rich for my blood, especially when no one knows if they are any better than a standard filter. Sure they look weird but as my dad used to say, that and $1 will get you a cup of coffee (a small cup, maybe).

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/toyota.html

Scroll down for pictures of the 90915-yzzd1 cut open. It's been discussed on here before, but there are no endcaps. The media is glued together on the edges for a seal. The D1 has LOTS of media surface area. I have run this filter (or yzzg1 equivalent) pretty much the entire life of my Tacoma thus-far. I prefer the Toyota filter cost and construction for 5k intervals.

One note with the Toyota-Denso filters... The can ridge is designed to bottom out on the filter mount when fully seated. I tighten mine 3/4 of a turn once the oring contacts the base. If you go much further, it will leave a scratch on the outside of the mount surface. This is non-functional, unless you plan on running an an oversized OD filter.

Last edited:
thanks for the post. Not much to write home in regards to the Thailand Toyota filters. They look pretty darn cheap to me. It's probably comparable to a Napa ProSelect; but the proslect is $2.99 vs $5. I really like the wix, but the way the bypass valve seats up to the cartridge metal on metal... makes me worry. only part of the filter that is weak. Still don't see the point in paying $5+tax for the Thailand toyota filters; go buy a White Purolator or Proslect napa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toy4x4runner
Similar, but different. I sent pics to Cornfused a few minutes ago, hopefully he posts them up. Worst part of this filter is the Cardboard star ring. No idea why there would be cardboard in there.

Is there some advantage to this new type of media Denso is using?? I"ve never seen, read or heard about such a thing.
What is wrong with the [card board]?

I have been using these filters as well as the very different Japan made ones on a Toyota. The main thing is the Denso name on the side, and approved by Toyota. It makes no difference to me that they are made in Thailand as far as the quality. Not sure why that always comes up. Denso set up a factory there, that's all it is. The machines making the filters are likely very very good. Denso is a quality name, and makes quality media especially. I would say right up there with the best. I am all for cutting down on material waste, so I think this is a good design you show here. Other companies are using "cardboard" endcaps more, but they aren't really cardboard, and I think they are fine if well designed. A lot of cartridge filter models are coming out as well, saves a lot of steel.

Interesting the old ideas become new again.

All that said I will buy in the future only USA made. The car too.

I kinda agree Newtonville. I can buy a wix from South Carolina that is great quality for $7, or even a Cheap wix for $2.99. Why buy something from Thailand??!!! Only reason I bought the taco was b/c I couldn't find a midsize american truck that was better. I traded my brand new 2007 F250 Diesel 4x4 FX4 Lariat in on this Taco. But buying a 1/2 ton 1500 was not an option as the MPG's were "ok" and the price tag was $5k more than the Taco and it came with less options that mattered to me (LOCKER!!!). I'm also looking at Baldwin filters too. It's the only aftermarket company that lists a different filter for the 4.0L application. Everyone else (purolator, wix etc) say the 4.0L filter is the same as the 3.4... NO IT"S NOT!! the 4.0 filter is taller. As of right now I'll be running either the "long" 1516 napa gold or a Baldwin if I can see the insides of the part number I need.

Last edited:
How long oci the truck will fall apart before the motor with any filter used. J94runner

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4runner
I kinda agree Newtonville. I can buy a wix from South Carolina that is great quality for $7, or even a Cheap wix for $2.99. Why buy something from Thailand??!!! Only reason I bought the taco was b/c I couldn't find a midsize american truck that was better. I traded my brand new 2007 F250 Diesel 4x4 FX4 Lariat in on this Taco. But buying a 1/2 ton 1500 was not an option as the MPG's were "ok" and the price tag was $5k more than the Taco and it came with less options that mattered to me (LOCKER!!!). I'm also looking at Baldwin filters too. It's the only aftermarket company that lists a different filter for the 4.0L application. Everyone else (purolator, wix etc) say the 4.0L filter is the same as the 3.4... NO IT"S NOT!! the 4.0 filter is taller. As of right now I'll be running either the "long" 1516 napa gold or a Baldwin if I can see the insides of the part number I need.

Here is a list of the oversized filter for your truck.

List of Oversize Filter for Tacomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back