Toyota WS or Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always drain and fills with Maxlife ATF in my personal Toyota's over the years (11 Camry, 11 Rav4, 08 4Runner, 08 Tundra) and what I use in other Toyota's that come to my garage.

I did use WS in our 11 Rav4 while we had the powertrain warranty cause we got it new.

Did one drain and fill in my wifes Scion XB which spec's WS fluid, with Maxlife.

Car has 105k miles, I drained it at 65k.

I these these 4 speed transmissions are pretty easy on fluid and it really doesn't matter.

I use the maxlife because the gallon jugs are cheap and I can have walmart deliver them to my house.

No shift change noticed.

I combed through the "post your latest" by searching "Toyota" and checking original posts (admittedly imperfect search and probably a small subset of the BITOG population who actually posts their latest change). I added responses from this thread so far. Only 49 responses.

Here's what I have with all responses:
17 (35%) using Toyota WS
16 (33%) using MaxLife
4 (8%) using AMSOIL OE Fuel Efficient
3 (6%) using Idemitsu TLS-LV
49 Total Responses

Excluding the 5 Hybrids, Maxlife jumps to most popular in this tiny & incomplete dataset:
16 (36%) MaxLife
13 (30%) Toyota WS
4 (9%) Amsoil
*I hypothesize hybrids are more commonly WS due to their being quite specific to Toyota and folks being risk averse. 4 out of 5 were on WS, 1 of 5 on Redline D6.

This is similar to the 16 poll responses before it was removed which had 8 WS, 7 MaxLife, and 1 other.

I can continue to add responses posted after this.

I've seen lots of opinion on the 2 most popular fluids. My goal was to see what actions people are taking in order to provide some context for the discussion of WS or its alternatives. Sometimes talk is cheap. I think it's informative to see what folks have actually done. Thanks for all the replies so far.

I combed through the "post your latest" by searching "Toyota" and checking original posts (admittedly imperfect search and probably a small subset of the BITOG population who actually posts their latest change). I added responses from this thread so far. Only 49 responses.

Here's what I have with all responses:
17 (35%) using Toyota WS
16 (33%) using MaxLife
4 (8%) using AMSOIL OE Fuel Efficient
3 (6%) using Idemitsu TLS-LV
49 Total Responses

Excluding the 5 Hybrids, Maxlife jumps to most popular in this tiny & incomplete dataset:
16 (36%) MaxLife
13 (30%) Toyota WS
4 (9%) Amsoil
*I hypothesize hybrids are more commonly WS due to their being quite specific to Toyota and folks being risk averse. 4 out of 5 were on WS, 1 of 5 on Redline D6.

This is similar to the 16 poll responses before it was removed which had 8 WS, 7 MaxLife, and 1 other.

I can continue to add responses posted after this.

I've seen lots of opinion on the 2 most popular fluids. My goal was to see what actions people are taking in order to provide some context for the discussion of WS or its alternatives. Sometimes talk is cheap. I think it's informative to see what folks have actually done. Thanks for all the replies so far.
So, would you be interested in re-posting that poll with those options?

Maxlife for the last 7k miles of ownership in my 07 Tacoma (A750F). 80k on WS (drain and fill at 51k(jet black, but not burned), then a 12 quart cooler line flush around 60k), then a drain and fill with Maxlife at 80k, traded in at 87k with no issues. I know the new owners, no reported issues from them almost 2 years later.
2016 4Runner (A750F): drain and fill at 22k with Maxlife. Currently at ~31K, planning another drain and fill with Maxlife at the next oil change. A Drain and fill through the drain plug on this transmission only replaces 3.2 quarts. Shift feel is the same as WS. I am planning to stay with Maxlife, doing a drain and fill every 2-3 oil changes (10-15k miles).

So, would you be interested in re-posting that poll with those options?
Ya I guess that will be a new thread. Will post all the options I’ve seen so far and an “other”. Will phrase in a way request what fluids have a actually been used for WS automatic transmission (exlude hybrid transaxle which feels like it’s own thing to me).

lexus in my driveway is destined for amsoil when I can get around to it. They don’t make this one easy for the diy-er.

m

I had much smoother shifts using the Idemitsu LTS-LV in the Rav4. I'm also used their LTS (a little higher viscosity than the LTS-LV) in a 2003 Toyota Collora w/great results. Will be using their N3 fluid in a Nissan CVT which requires NS-3 fluid. Idemitsu is very, very good IMO.

At the OP’s request, this thread is locked. Please continue comment in his new thread. Linked above. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back