MaxLife instead of WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've search around the site and there appears to be a consensus that MaxLife (or Mobil1) are at least as good, probably better, but "approved" for use in newer Toyota trannys. I'm on my third fluid-in-the-pan and filter change on an 06 Tacoma and have been sticking with WS, but have to order it online as I live in Podunk and won't step foot in the nearest stealership. I noticed that MaxLife shows WS compatible, but wanted to poll the gurus just the same. TIA!

I think Maxlife is "approved"per Valvoline but M1 doesn't list T-IV and WS even though it meets JASO-1A. I've used Maxlife in place of T-IV and in a conventional 4, 5 or 6 speed like your Tacoma I think it would be a good fit. The viscosity is between T-IV and WS IIRC, but both T-IV and MaxLife probably shear thinner pretty quickly (I'd guess 30,000 miles) to what WS starts out as. I don't see Maxlife listed as meeting JASO-1A, which is the spec all the Japanese OEM ATF's use for friction, but I assume it does and that's why it's approved for all of them.

In short, yes it's probably a good fit. A lot of people use it.

Another option worth considering would be Castrol Import ATF.

Queue the "only use OEM" even though I've never tried anything else folks, followed by the "I use maxlife in my 1973 Datsun so it should be fine in everything" crowd.

cSt @ 100

MaxLife - 6.11
Amsoil ATL - 6.0
Toyota WS - 6.0

Castrol IMV - 8.0
Mobil 1 - 7.4

Stick with a lighter one that's closer to WS.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
cSt @ 100

MaxLife - 6.11
Amsoil ATL - 6.0
Toyota WS - 6.0

Castrol IMV - 8.0
Mobil 1 - 7.4

Stick with a lighter one that's closer to WS.

That makes the choice pretty obvious to me.

Originally Posted By: lyhoftom
I noticed that MaxLife shows WS compatible, but wanted to poll the gurus just the same.

Absolutely. It's a great fluid and a great value. Do it up!

Remember that MaxLife is not approved by any manufacturer for anything. The PDS just says it's "suitable for"...I suppose that means "in Valvoline's opinion".

I'm not knocking ML, just saying "caveat emptor".

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Remember that MaxLife is not approved by any manufacturer for anything.

I'd add that the chance of failure using MaxLife is likely significantly lower than when using an OE fluid. The only fluids available that can top it's performance are significantly more expensive (even many OE fluids are more expensive).

There's very little magic going on in an AT. Start with a good fluid in a good tranny, keep it clean and cool and you'll never have issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back