Toyota WS ATF or Aisin WS ATF

I'm not going to get into the whole toyota owning aisin argument here, but I will tell you a little bit about my experience. I have a small auto repair business that I run out of my garage and I order a lot of my stuff off rockauto to save my customers money. I've used different aisin ATF products spec'd for hyundais, hondas, toyotas and they've all been fine. Transmissions all shifted smoothly like they should and I have yet to have one come and complain about anything. I used the valvoline full synthetic multi-vehicle atf(the red bottle) in a Lexus GX470 that was spec'd for WS and it was fine too. In this case the guy provided his own parts, but him having done his first service at 160k the transmission he later called me and told me how much better the transmission is shifting. Both in terms of smoothness and speed. I was welding up his exhaust a few weeks ago and he's now at 220k and the thing is going strong. I can probably give you a dozen other examples but they are all going to say the same thing. Get which ever is cheaper, they are both spec'd for the same fluid. You're transmission will be happier to be serviced on a regular basis versus what brand you're using. Change the filter every 100k.

It's not a argument per se. Toyota doesn't own Aisin lock stock and barrel, period. That's a fact. I agree that the frequency of service on any transmission is paramount as it pertains to it living a long life. That said, Toyota's do not need filter changes! The late model Aisin units utilize a metal mesh (rock catcher/strainer). If you feel so inclined you can spray down with BRAKLEEN, but replacing is not recommended by Toyota or Aisin. It's simply not needed.

Kichihiro Toyoda founded AISIN and its part of the Toyota family.

https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/19/AISIN-SEIKI-CO-LTD.html#:~:text=Aisin%20was%20founded%20in%201943,for%20World%20War%20II%20aircraft.

and yes I don't change the filter, I have never dropped my pan so far but I do use Magnefine filter and even with an oil cooler and using AISIN AFW+ synthetic, I do a full flush every 50000.

Last edited:
Sounds like there may be a knowledge gap here. Aisin-Seiki is a publicly traded company, of which Toyota owns 51%. That means Toyota has total and exclusive control of the company, because no one can out-vote them in a proxy fight. They control the board of directors, the executives, and every move the company makes. They simply get to use other people's money for almost half of company operations. It's a great deal for Toyota!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AzFireGuy79
It's not a argument per se. Toyota doesn't own Aisin lock stock and barrel, period. That's a fact. I agree that the frequency of service on any transmission is paramount as it pertains to it living a long life. That said, Toyota's do not need filter changes! The late model Aisin units utilize a metal mesh (rock catcher/strainer). If you feel so inclined you can spray down with BRAKLEEN, but replacing is not recommended by Toyota or Aisin. It's simply not needed.

That is not entirely true - the U660 transmissions use a media filter.

I have access to the AFW+ here in Asia as well, which is fully synthetic and half the price of Toyota WS. Think I’ll go for the synthetic for my drain and fills…
This is a decision you won't regret and the transmission performance reflects the superiority of the AISIN AFW+ over OEM WS. But if starting with AFW+ I suggest a full fluid exchange and then you can do pan drain and fills at every interval.

i wouldn't use the idemitsu fluid. feels too thin. my transmission has been clunky as hell since doing a drain and fill with the idemitsu. doesn't seem to slip at all, and temperatures are fine but doesn't feel smooth. torque converter has pretty harsh engagement lately. going to do another drain and fill soon with genuine toyota ws fluid just so i can rule out fluid being the culprit.

why not use Valvoline Maxlife ATF there are tons of people using it in Toyotas with excellent results and its spec'd for WS replacement. easily available and less expensive.

I did a drain and fill on my 2020 Tundra and my wife’s 2014 4Runner with Idemitsu trans fluid. Both vehicles feel great. I am using Idemitsu from now on

This post is worth gold in weight. This is my personal findiings on fleet vehicles

This info is on the back of Valvoline multivehicle ATF. Perhaps someone could explain what it means in relation to meeting the specifications, recommendations or suitable for.

Toyota/Lexus: Type T, T-III and T-IV, Toyota WS#.

#Low viscosity fluid application which is outside Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF viscosity parameters.

Back