Toyota vs. Lexus

I got a service kit from the local Lexus dealer for my GS450H, it takes 6.2 or 6.3L of oil.

I know this is a US-centric forum, and the threads that discuss who makes TGMO often talk about US oil vs. Japanese oil being different. So I thought I'd share what European Toyota engine oil looks like.

I was given 1x 5L and 2x 1L containers, as you can see, they are branded totally differently. I also bought some coolant, which is all branded as Toyota (both 5L and 1L containers)

The Lexus is made in France, whilst Toyota in Belgium - I am in the UK.

IMG_20220417_110536516_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220417_110553629_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220417_110605550_HDR.jpg

That spout on the 5L jug looks cool :D

They probably use local suppliers in the region. For example, your TGMO comes from Europe, while US-market TGMO is Mobil Synthetic from the US, and JDM TGMO is something else from a Japanese supplier.

as soon as I saw the pic, before I read the text, or the OP's location, saw the spout, "ohhh... English/European oil spout"
just one of the things I've noticed over the years from Uk based Car shows/youtube Channels. (probably primarily from Edd China in his "Wheeler Dealers" days)

I got a service kit from the local Lexus dealer for my GS450H, it takes 6.2 or 6.3L of oil.

I know this is a US-centric forum, and the threads that discuss who makes TGMO often talk about US oil vs. Japanese oil being different. So I thought I'd share what European Toyota engine oil looks like.

I was given 1x 5L and 2x 1L containers, as you can see, they are branded totally differently. I also bought some coolant, which is all branded as Toyota (both 5L and 1L containers)

The Lexus is made in France, whilst Toyota in Belgium - I am in the UK.

View attachment 96704
View attachment 96705
View attachment 96706
The 5L was made in 2021 but could not see a manuf date on the 1L. Could be that the contract for the 1L expired (if older) and a new bid (better) was accepted from a french manufacturer. IMO there is no other reason for they are all made to specs provided by Toyota-Lexus

France is probably made by Total...although the collapsible spout looks more like Motul 🤔 (Total jugs used to have a two parts sliding spout that was even better than the Motul one)
Belgium...Castrol?

geetar

Sorry, let me post a full image of the spout as my funnel was sticking in there it may have been a confusing photo!
IMG_20220418_133925658_HDR.jpg

How it was in the original post:
IMG_20220418_134256099_HDR.jpg

Some oils have this spout, but it isn't standardised, as you can see from the below the Millers has it, the Shell does not. Personally I don't care for it at all, makes no difference to me. I did not realise this wasn't a thing in the US.

IMG_20220418_134134939_HDR.jpg

Here is also some 0w20 I got from Toyota for another car, looks like the same container as the Lexus, but a different oil:

IMG_20220418_134022310_HDR.jpg

And here is some transmission oil, with transmission oil spout, seeing as I was documenting all the oil containers :ROFLMAO:
IMG_20220418_134009633_HDR.jpg

Anyway, I don't feel super comfortable that Lexus potentially supplies two different oils - right now in my engine there is 5L of Lexus brand oil, and ~1L of Toyota brand. I suppose its OK, and I know the original oil left behind is also mixed in anyway, but given that OEM oil is normally a premium cost, it definitely takes away from that when I could go to any shop and buy 7L of same brand premium oil. But hey ho.

geetar

The 5L was made in 2021 but could not see a manuf date on the 1L. Could be that the contract for the 1L expired (if older) and a new bid (better) was accepted from a french manufacturer. IMO there is no other reason for they are all made to specs provided by Toyota-Lexus
It is there, on the other side.
France? ….Motul? They have a similar spout on their Multi DCTF bottle. It even looks like their bottle
It could well be? But it also could be a bottle supplied by a 3rd party...