Toyota V6 oil filter info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Garak on this one, I don't think an ADBV would cause starvation of the mains and rods causing an engine knock and certainly not over the span of one or two OCI/FCI.

Additionally, I don't think the "witness marks" on the Fram ADBV are evidence of it having failed, they appear to be smooth impressions evidence of contact with a smooth surface and not cuts from sharp edges like some other brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

ADBVs certainly aren't useless, but I don't think we've ever been presented with any evidence in the slightest as to how much engine life they may add, or if they're just easier on the cardiac system of the person starting the vehicle. I like them, prefer to have them, and prefer the silicone ones, where feasible. But, in the grand scheme of it, how much does it really matter? I'd have an exceedingly hard time blaming a damaged engine on a non-functioning ADBV, given the propensity of the things to not be ideal....

Agreed. The International Harvester D-414, DT-436 and DT-466 diesel engine use twin oil filters, mounted base down. I don't remember anymore if they use an ADBV, but these two large filters (well over a quart a piece) are typically always spun on dry, and a lot of folks don't start their diesels at idle. I seem to recall they run for at least 10 seconds before oil pressure registers. These big diesels can handle it, but a Toyota V6 wears the bearings out??!? Maybe it was some other cause besides the ADBV.

A local county fair would buy a "clunker car" every year, drain the oil, then start it around 10:00 PM and let it run at idle with the oil plug out. Folks would buy a "time" guess when the engine should seize for $10, and the one closest to the time wins. Then everyone sits around and drinks beer until it happens. Occasionally, the darn things will run until 6:00 AM or whenever it runs out of gas, whichever happens first. The latest time then wins the pot.

Many times - - the engine will run all night (without seizing) with no oil. That's a lot harder on it than No ADBV.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

ADBVs certainly aren't useless, but I don't think we've ever been presented with any evidence in the slightest as to how much engine life they may add, or if they're just easier on the cardiac system of the person starting the vehicle. I like them, prefer to have them, and prefer the silicone ones, where feasible. But, in the grand scheme of it, how much does it really matter? I'd have an exceedingly hard time blaming a damaged engine on a non-functioning ADBV, given the propensity of the things to not be ideal....

Agreed. The International Harvester D-414, DT-436 and DT-466 diesel engine use twin oil filters, mounted base down. I don't remember anymore if they use an ADBV, but these two large filters (well over a quart a piece) are typically always spun on dry, and a lot of folks don't start their diesels at idle. I seem to recall they run for at least 10 seconds before oil pressure registers. These big diesels can handle it, but a Toyota V6 wears the bearings out??!? Maybe it was some other cause besides the ADBV.

A local county fair would buy a "clunker car" every year, drain the oil, then start it around 10:00 PM and let it run at idle with the oil plug out. Folks would buy a "time" guess when the engine should seize for $10, and the one closest to the time wins. Then everyone sits around and drinks beer until it happens. Occasionally, the darn things will run until 6:00 AM or whenever it runs out of gas, whichever happens first. The latest time then wins the pot.

Many times - - the engine will run all night (without seizing) with no oil. That's a lot harder on it than No ADBV.

That sounds like one heck of a good time. I could do that all night.

I intuitively "think" an ABDV is beneficial to engine life. I just don't know how much, and we haven't seen any literature on the topic. And, I'd wager they're not catastrophic when gone. Otherwise, my LTD would have been dead much earlier than it was. Back then, I was delighted to have anything resembling an ADBV, and the least of the worries were silicone or witness marks or slits.
wink.gif

I wiggled a couple rod big ends when the oil pan came off and I could feel movement. They looked worn, as was expected. I didn't bother measuring any of the oil bearings at this point. I tore it down, measured the crank, measured the bores, ordered new parts...preassembled, measured those, and put it all back together. This engine had suffered a broken timing chain due to someone (not me) else failing to torque a cam chain tensioner to the cylinder head...it fell off, jammed in the chain, and broke. There was a bit of coarse shrapnel in the sump from the chain to aluminum tensioner casting "interference" moments before it all went to [censored], but after cleaning the pan and performing the repair to the chain system, the engine ran quietly. I changed a few filters over the next few days....mostly because I wanted to keep cutting them open to see how much residual debris was coming out, but by the 2nd one was pretty clean, that's when the pentius went on and I turned the wife loose with it. Was there an existing problem?...maybe..but it was quiet and the filter wasn't picking up any substantial debris. Regardless, I've removed no fewer than 200 oil filters from these engines, and I've never pulled one off that was bone dry. Some that didn't drip?...sure...but they had weight to them from the oil held back by the ADBV. This filter, after cutting it open, was dry.

The rebuild revealed a relatively clean engine...absolutely no signs of sludge, just a bit of varnish typical with a well taken care of engine of this age.

I intuitively "think" an ABDV is beneficial to engine life. I just don't know how much, and we haven't seen any literature on the topic. And, I'd wager they're not catastrophic when gone. Otherwise, my LTD would have been dead much earlier than it was. Back then, I was delighted to have anything resembling an ADBV, and the least of the worries were silicone or witness marks or slits.
wink.gif

I don't have an answer...but old american iron ran on (relatively)[censored] oil and lived to tell about it. I had cases of PepBoys house brand conventional 20W50 that I ran in my 1964 C10 w/ a 283 and countless more junk cars that shouldn't have made it around the block my modern day standards. What changed over the years?...lots of things. Before I jumped in that old truck every morning, I fill up the oil and check the gas. It was 34 years old when I got it, and the guy that bought it still hasn't done much too it but points every few years and it's still being driven. He doesn't change the oil, he pours in what he drains out of his wife's car and puts a filter on it every 6 months. That would not fly with a modern engine.

Sometimes, unfortunately, things happen without an adequate explanation. It's always tempting to find an oil to blame, or a driving habit, or a filter doing "something" that it shouldn't, or the manufacturer doing something to save a pile of cash. However, sometimes things just go wrong and you'll never adequately trace the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back