Toyota T-IV Fluid Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 4Runner with a non-sealed, 4 speed auto. I believe it's an A340H transmission. the manual calls for T-IV fluid. I live in a climate where -40 is not uncommon in the winter.

Depending on who you believe, Toyota T-IV is either very good, or just another mineral based ATF with some specific friction modifiers, and likely made by Mobil (Mobil Super ATF 3309) and rebadged for Toyota.

I would like to put in a good quality synthetic for my cold winters. Here are a few options:

Valvoline Synthetic Import Multi
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/multi_vehicle_atf.pdf

PetroCanada DuraDrive Synthetic
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...amp;language=en

Mobil Super ATF 3309 (Probably OEM supplier)
http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/automatic-transmission-fluid_mobil-super-atf-3309.aspx

Any thoughts on these products? I'm leaning towards the PetroCan product, it has a pour point of -54c, full synthetic and meets a lot of specs.

I read that the Valvoline & PetroCan are "Suitable" for use, which is kind of a slippery word. Probably good to use but, probably not as good as 3309/T-IV which was developed specifically for the Aisin ATs.

I know there is a new super tech VI , that says its backward compatible to Toyota IV, as long as the bottle mentions, its okay to me.

I have used Valvoline Maxlife to replace T-IV with no problems, because some repair shops I worked would use it. I don't know if Valvoline Import will perform the same, but I would think it would.

I have ran only T-IV or Mobil 3309 (which is supposed to be the exact same thing) along with LG Red in my 2008 Corolla.

I have ran Castrol IMV in my b-i-ls 2004 Corolla and it runs just fine. He currently has over 230K and the A/T has had only 2 or possibly 3 ATF changes in it's life.....this has led me to conclude that the A-245 is a stout transmission which is tolerant of universal type ATFs.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the 3 you mention but I'd probably go with the PC because of it's great cold weather numbers.

T-IV
Castrol IMV
Maxlife

Take your pick.

I used the IMV in an Aisin transmission requiring T-IV with good success.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Amsoil has some good fluid too that meets those specs .

+1
thumbsup2.gif

For a full synthetic, Red line D4 atf would probably be of interest to you. Pricey though...
RL D4
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 7.5
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 34
Viscosity Index 198
Pour Point, °C -60
Pour Point, °F -76
Brookfield Vis @ -40°C, P

Or Amsoil,
TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF
ATF
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D 445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D 445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D 2270)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97)
-53 (-63)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
234 (453)
Four Ball Wear Test @ 75°C, 1200 rpm, 40 kg, 1 hr, Scar, mm (ASTM D 4172)
Brookfield Viscosity, cP (ASTM D 2983)

Cheers,

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
What are the specs on the T-IV?

Viscosity
@ 100ºC 7.1
@ 40ºC 33
cP @ -40ºC (-40ºF) 13,000
Viscosity Index 181
Pour Point, ºC Flash Point, ºC >185
Density 0.8520
Color Red

I just put Valvoline Import (the T-IV, not the WS) in my sienna. It is the same stuff in the first link of the first post. I had to be careful though, because when I went to AAP to pick it up, the quart bottles were T-IV spec and the gallon jug was WS.

Last edited:
US boutique fluids might be costly in OP's location.

The -40 Brookfield is best with... PetroCan
Support the home team.

Valvolines import synth 18000 cP might be a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back