Toyota T-IV ATF Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 4Runner with an A340F 4speed transmission, it takes T-IV. It has 110k miles on it. I live in a climate where it goes from -40c (-40f) in the winter to 38c (about 98f) in the summer. I do not tow anything heavy. Other than the dealer, options are:

Mobil 1 Super 3309
M1 Super 3309 Data Sheet
PetroCanada DuraDrive MV Syn
DuraDrive Data Sheet
Castrol Transmax Import MV
Transmax Import MV Data Sheet
Castrol Full Syn MV
Transmax Full Syn Data Sheet

The M1 is likely OEM fill. But, the others have better cold viscosity. I'm leaning toward the Castrol Full Syn, it has some of the best cold numbers, I'm just skeptical of the data sheet saying for Toyota "All applications that require automatic transmission fluid." I'd rather it specifically listed my requirement. However, it also lists "JWS 3309" for several other manufacturers who also use Aisin transmissions. I'm assuming the "3309" refers to the same requirement as "Toyota T-IV 3309" Mobil's "3309" brand makes me feel better but it's probably marketing hype I'm falling for.

Thoughts?

Remember "Mobil 1" is Mobil's synthetic oil product line. The "Mobil 3309" is not a synthetic ATF, it's just "Mobil" brand. Anyway, I use the Mobil 3309 in my mother's 2002 Camry I4. I remember reading somewhere that the Mobil stuff was the same T-IV fluid that you would buy at the dealer.

I live in SOUTHERN Missouri. A few years ago I saw -22F on my outdoor thermometer, the one in my van confirmed it. I have seen 112F in the summer.

This is southern Missouri. Believe the temp swing.

Rod

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Mobil 1 should be fine. Either way it's not going to be happy until it warms up a tad.

Although, Mobil 1 may not cause any issues, it's no longer suitable for use as a T-IV replacement. IDK if it ever was though at one time, it was labeled as Multi-Vehicle???

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Remember "Mobil 1" is Mobil's synthetic oil product line. The "Mobil 3309" is not a synthetic ATF, it's just "Mobil" brand. Anyway, I use the Mobil 3309 in my mother's 2002 Camry I4. I remember reading somewhere that the Mobil stuff was the same T-IV fluid that you would buy at the dealer.

Yes, many threads pertaining to Mobil 3309 and Toyota T-IV being the same ATF.

Pick the cheapest or easiest to obtain.

Mobil 3309
Toyota T-IV
Volvo JWS 3309
Mazda T-IV/3309
Saab JWS 3309
BMW/Mini JWS 3309
Castrol IMV

Contact your local Petro-Canada dealer and get a case or 2 of the Duradrive MV.

I've been using it in my camry with satisfaction (changed out once around 85k, been running the same fluid for over 110k now (odo over 200k now).

Skip others such as mobil or Castrol Import MV fluid.

Q.

I've used both Castrol products in Toyota's and Lexi. Both fluids functioned flawlessly. I'd expect the same from PetroCan.

It is not Mobil-1 3309. Just Mobil... blended the same way since the 1980's ....obsolete! M1-ATF isn't marketed as a multi-spec fluid anymore, even though any Jaso-1a rated fluid will work fine.

The regular Mobil 1 multi vehicle ATF does have superior cold weather performance to most and a very similar Brookfield Viscosity to Maxlife, but the regular "Mobil 3309" will not peform the same in these cold temperatures as the synthetics will like M1/Maxlife.

I am un sure of the availability of Maxlife in your country but in the US it's a huge bargain for most of us, i can get it for $16.50/gallon.

Unfortunatly, I am sure of the temperature swings. It was -21f a few days ago, as I type this it's a balmy -8f.

Mobile 1 Synthetic is not T-IV, 3309 spec'd, or I'd gladly use that. The Brookfield viscosity at -40c of M1's MV which IS 3309 compliant is 18,000. While the Castrol is 10,000. Their -40c Cst viscosity are not that different, but still the M1 MV is not that good cold.

I'll check MaxLife.

My thinking is this: is it better to use Mobil Super 3309 which was purpose built for this transmission with a specific additive package, or use a full synthetic fluid that probably is better in cold weather and many other ways, but has a generic additive package that, while is 3309 "suitable" may not be as well matched to that particular transmission?

Originally Posted By: Gannet167
My thinking is this: is it better to use Mobil Super 3309 which was purpose built for this transmission with a specific additive package, or use a full synthetic fluid that probably is better in cold weather and many other ways, but has a generic additive package that, while is 3309 "suitable" may not be as well matched to that particular transmission?

Poorly worded. Let me correct that for you "3309 is the lowest bid fluid meeting the minimalistic and pathetic requirements of AW from 1980s using poor performing obsolete technology, additives that don't prevent wear too well, quick to shear/oxidize VM & base oils, short life friction modifier, and poor cold weather performance".
crackmeup2.gif

I wonder how many out there are trying hard to locate API SF or GF2 motor oil, or DexronII ATF???

I really wish AW would grow some peanuts and do what GM did with DexronVI, or what Honda did with DW1.

AW gives the consumer a million mile transmission that is murdered by 30k fluid
27.gif

3309 =
18.gif
Debate has been going on here since the beginning.

Quote:

Poorly worded. Let me correct that for you "3309 is the lowest bid fluid meeting the minimalistic and pathetic requirements of AW from 1980s using poor performing obsolete technology, additives that don't prevent wear too well, quick to shear/oxidize VM & base oils, short life friction modifier, and poor cold weather performance".
crackmeup2.gif

I wonder how many out there are trying hard to locate API SF or GF2 motor oil, or DexronII ATF???

I really wish AW would grow some peanuts and do what GM did with DexronVI, or what Honda did with DW1.

AW gives the consumer a million mile transmission that is murdered by 30k fluid
27.gif

3309 =
18.gif
Debate has been going on here since the beginning.

And your qualifications to make this statement are what?

Last edited:
Toyota A340's have been know to go for a half million miles with minimal, even neglectful maintenance - even running 3309. So at least at some level, it works well enough. I don't know anything about its additive package, or UOAs. Is it really that bad?

I'm inclined, if Toyota has spec'd it, to use it since it seems to have proven itself as a transmission and fluid. Why, for example, Mobil 1 Synthetic doesn't meet the standard of 3309 is curious, all other things being equal I'd rather use M1 FS. But, since its not the right stuff.....

What would you run in this transmission if a fluid meeting 3309 is in reality that bad? Should I aim for a fluid that meets a bunch of other, higher fluid standards and also meets 3309's specs? Maybe the MaxLife or DuraDrive would be better?

When in doubt just use 3309. It is cheap and ubiquitous.

Having said that, I have Maxlife and Lubegard red in my trans that specs 3309.
shocked2.gif

Maybe I'm coming at this wrong, my owner's manual actually says "Genuine Toyota Type T-IV" it doesn't say "3309" anywhere. If I interpret this, maybe they're the same spec?

Maxlife is "T-IV", so is Castrol Syn, PetroCan DuraDrive, so.... All of these would be valid options and not necessarily any less suitable than Mobil Super 3009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back